From: BeeJ on
Cleanup remnants
If my VB6 app crashes, it may leave some files and ActiveX EXEs
running.
I plan to remove those when the app starts up again (by the user).
I know how to deal with files, but how do I deal with the ActiveX EXEs?
In Process Explorer I can Kill them.
How do i find and kill them from my app after it starts?
At that time i would only know their names.
I would do this before my app instantiates those possibly same or not
ActiveX EXEs.

From: Jason Keats on

http://www.google.com/search?q=VB6+terminate+process

From: Kevin Provance on

"BeeJ" <nospam(a)live.com> wrote in message
: Cleanup remnants
: If my VB6 app crashes, it may leave some files and ActiveX EXEs
: running.
: I plan to remove those when the app starts up again (by the user).
: I know how to deal with files, but how do I deal with the ActiveX EXEs?
: In Process Explorer I can Kill them.
: How do i find and kill them from my app after it starts?
: At that time i would only know their names.
: I would do this before my app instantiates those possibly same or not
: ActiveX EXEs.

What do you mean by "crashes"? If it's a trappable error, you should create
an error handler routine to do cleanup before the program closes. If you're
talking about a GPF, you should determine why that's happening and fix your
code.

While I recognize no app is bug free, it's important to take as many steps
as possible to ensure a crash free application. Planning for crashes tell
me too many are occuring. Instead of planning for them, looking into why
they are happening and attempting to fix them is a better use of time.

From: BeeJ on
Kevin Provance formulated the question :
> "BeeJ" <nospam(a)live.com> wrote in message
>> Cleanup remnants
>> If my VB6 app crashes, it may leave some files and ActiveX EXEs
>> running.
>> I plan to remove those when the app starts up again (by the user).
>> I know how to deal with files, but how do I deal with the ActiveX EXEs?
>> In Process Explorer I can Kill them.
>> How do i find and kill them from my app after it starts?
>> At that time i would only know their names.
>> I would do this before my app instantiates those possibly same or not
>> ActiveX EXEs.
>
> What do you mean by "crashes"? If it's a trappable error, you should create
> an error handler routine to do cleanup before the program closes. If you're
> talking about a GPF, you should determine why that's happening and fix your
> code.
>
> While I recognize no app is bug free, it's important to take as many steps
> as possible to ensure a crash free application. Planning for crashes tell
> me too many are occuring. Instead of planning for them, looking into why
> they are happening and attempting to fix them is a better use of time.

Yes, I do.
I have error handling that works and logging that give me reports. But
right now I am struggling with API calls that work under every
condition I can think of on Win XP, but on Vista the call hangs
everything. And in this case even process Explorer cannot kill the
main app. I have to boot the computer every time.
So I am jut trying to cover the worst case situation and try to clean
up as best I can.
OK so I am lazy too. when debugging in the IDE I get a crash and shut
down the app incorrectly leaving stuff in memory. Killing on startup
would clear all that and i would not have to open Process Explorer and
search and kill - lots of clicks avoided.

From: BeeJ on
on 8/8/2010, Jason Keats supposed :
> BeeJ wrote:
>> Cleanup remnants
>> If my VB6 app crashes, it may leave some files and ActiveX EXEs running.
>> I plan to remove those when the app starts up again (by the user).
>> I know how to deal with files, but how do I deal with the ActiveX EXEs?
>> In Process Explorer I can Kill them.
>> How do i find and kill them from my app after it starts?
>> At that time i would only know their names.
>> I would do this before my app instantiates those possibly same or not
>> ActiveX EXEs.
>>

> http://www.google.com/search?q=VB6+terminate+process

yikes! there are so many ways of doing it.
I have no clue which way to go.
Are any better than others?

I would like to enumerate all running and see if mine is there, then
kill it.
I do not have a form in the ActiveX EXE so I cannot search for a
Caption, right?
So I need to see what is running by program name, see if it is mine and
then kill.