From: banjolicious on
Comments inline:

EscVector wrote:
> Here are some questions:
> 1. Why do you need the 8 client? Are you connecting to any 7 or older
> databases?

The application uses PROC80

> 2. The install is "messed" up. On windows?

I agree. For many reasons, I'd rather fix it than wipe/reinstall the
machine.

Yes, Windows XP Pro SP2. Its worked on this box before, but I have no
idea what has been changed.

> Personal Opinion: Never use that home tool even if support tell you to
> do so.... I never really works and you get errors like the one you are
> seeing.

Noted.

> If yes to win:
> Via cmd prompt sqlplus, not the GUI, set the PATH,ORACLE_HOME and
> TNS_ADMIN

Did this, but no change.

> cmd
> SET ORACLE_HOME=path to your home
> SET TNS_ADMIN path to your network admin directory.
> SET PATH=%ORACLE_HOME%\bin;%PATH%
>
> sqlplus /nolog
> connect user/pass(a)tnsalias

I had to install sqlplus to try this, but after I did the connect works
fine in sqlplus. If I failed to mention it before, the Test in the
easyconfig tool always succeeds as well. Unfortunately, the application
still has the same errors.

I think I'll wipe all traces of both oracle installs from the machine
(or at least as much as I can find) and see if I can make any progress
that way.

Thank you for your suggestions!

From: EscVector on

banjolicious(a)netscape.net wrote:
> Comments inline:
>
> EscVector wrote:
> > Here are some questions:
> > 1. Why do you need the 8 client? Are you connecting to any 7 or older
> > databases?
>
> The application uses PROC80
>
> > 2. The install is "messed" up. On windows?
>
> I agree. For many reasons, I'd rather fix it than wipe/reinstall the
> machine.
>
> Yes, Windows XP Pro SP2. Its worked on this box before, but I have no
> idea what has been changed.
>
> > Personal Opinion: Never use that home tool even if support tell you to
> > do so.... I never really works and you get errors like the one you are
> > seeing.
>
> Noted.
>

> > If yes to win:
> > Via cmd prompt sqlplus, not the GUI, set the PATH,ORACLE_HOME and
> > TNS_ADMIN
>
> Did this, but no change.
>
> > cmd
> > SET ORACLE_HOME=path to your home
> > SET TNS_ADMIN path to your network admin directory.
> > SET PATH=%ORACLE_HOME%\bin;%PATH%
> >
> > sqlplus /nolog
> > connect user/pass(a)tnsalias
>
> I had to install sqlplus to try this, but after I did the connect works
> fine in sqlplus. If I failed to mention it before, the Test in the
> easyconfig tool always succeeds as well. Unfortunately, the application
> still has the same errors.
>
> I think I'll wipe all traces of both oracle installs from the machine
> (or at least as much as I can find) and see if I can make any progress
> that way.
>
> Thank you for your suggestions!

Path changed or registry default home is wrong and not finding the
correct oci lib path.
i.e. using 9i to call 8 or vice versa. Reinstalling the client you
need to work as default should correct the path issues. Always install
the one you want to work last. Otherwise, paths and registry get
altered to point to the latest install by default. Setting home
switches home in registry but I don't think the old tool modifies the
system path order.

From: banjolicious on

EscVector wrote:
> Path changed or registry default home is wrong and not finding the
> correct oci lib path.
> i.e. using 9i to call 8 or vice versa. Reinstalling the client you
> need to work as default should correct the path issues. Always install
> the one you want to work last. Otherwise, paths and registry get
> altered to point to the latest install by default. Setting home
> switches home in registry but I don't think the old tool modifies the
> system path order.

I uninstalled Oracle9i as well as the 8.0.6 client and removed
everything I could find in the registry. Cleaned up path. Booted.
Reinstalled the portions of the 8.0.6 client I need (Net 8 products,
TCP/IP protocol adapter, Net8 assistant, Net8 EasyConfig), created my
service in easyconfig....application still gets the same error.

Since it survived thru all of that reinit, I'm thinking there must be
something wrong with the windows setup, tho I have no idea what. I even
tried a different NIC.

Here's where the trace goes wrong on the non-working machine vs. a very
similar working machine:

nsdo: rank=64, nsctxrnk=0
snsbitcl_ts: entry
snsbitcl_ts: normal exit
nsdo: nsctx: state=8, flg=0x420d, mvd=0
nsdo: gtn=127, gtc=127, ptn=10, ptc=2047
nsdofls: entry
nsdofls: DATA flags: 0x0
nsdofls: sending NSPTDA packet
nspsend: entry
nspsend: plen=21, type=6
nttwr: entry
ntt2err: entry
ntt2err: soc 196 error - operation=6, ntresnt[0]=530, ntresnt[1]=93,
ntresnt[2]=0
ntt2err: exit
nttwr: exit
nspsend: transport write error
nspsend: error exit
nserror: entry
nserror: nsres: id=0, op=67, ns=12571, ns2=12560; nt[0]=530, nt[1]=93,
nt[2]=0
snsbitts_ts: entry
snsbitts_ts: acquired the bit
snsbitts_ts: normal exit
snsbitcl_ts: entry
snsbitcl_ts: normal exit
nsdofls: error exit
snsbitts_ts: entry
snsbitts_ts: acquired the bit
snsbitts_ts: normal exit
nsdo: nsctxrnk=0
snsbitcl_ts: entry
snsbitcl_ts: normal exit
nsdo: error exit
nioqper: error from nioqrc
nioqper: nr err code: 0
nioqper: ns main err code: 12571
nioqper: ns (2) err code: 12560
nioqper: nt main err code: 530
nioqper: nt (2) err code: 93
nioqper: nt OS err code: 0
nioqer: entry
nioqer: incoming err = 12150
niqme: entry
niqme: reporting ns (2) error: (12571) as rdbms err (12571)
niqme: exit
nioqce: entry
nioqce: exit
nioqer: returning err = 12571
nioqer: exit
nioqrc: Error: Inconsistent trace parameters line: 962