From: RodDaSilva on
Clipper - the first and most successful compiler for dBase - was a
great product in its day. It was "the COBOL of the DOS world".
Applications written in Clipper ran trouble free - in some cases for
decades. Its clean, easy to use "pointerless" language and
runtime, along with built in DBF access, gave it a distinct competitive
advantage over more traditional language choices such as C, C++, or
Pascal, for developing complex business applications. And with
millions of dBase developers around, there was no shortage of resources
to help build and maintain Clipper applications. Yes, as the
popularity of the PC exploded in the late 80s and early 90s, it was a
great time to be a DOS business application developer - and Clipper
was king!

The problem however, is that times and platforms change. Over the
years the native 16-bit platform has disappeared, replaced with 16-bit
"emulators" in the last several 32-bit versions of Windows.
16-bit DOS emulators have become increasingly weaker as Microsoft
attempts to phase them out. Due to being notoriously difficult to
manage memory above the 1-MB range, it is widely rumored that 16-bit
DOS emulation in the upcoming 32-bit Windows Vista release will be
restricted to the 1-MB boundary, and that no 16-bit DOS emulation will
be supported on 64-bit Windows Vista. This will create even more
problems for already memory-confined Clipper applications that
routinely consume memory well past the natural 640K DOS boundary using
extended memory linkers such as Blinker and ExoSpace.

Furthermore, since the vendor of Clipper - CA (Computer Associates)
stopped developing the product over a decade ago newer languages have
long since eclipsed Clipper in popularity. As aging baby-boomer
Clipper developers retire, virtually no new Clipper developers arrive
to take their place; continually eroding the developer pool available
to maintain applications written in the language. And since the
product isn't being developed it becomes increasingly difficult (if
not impossible) to take advantage of maturing state-of-the-art
technologies such as the latest in relational databases, Xml, or web
services, to name just three.

Still those massive, well designed, rock-solid Clipper applications -
written for every corner of industry and every level of government, all
over the world - continue to run.

Today many huge Clipper applications - applications with 100s of data
entry screens and reports - serve as the work horse of large Fortune
2000 companies and governmental organizations, and small companies
alike in every region in the world. These applications all share a
common theme...they typically have very large code bases (in the 10s if
not 100s of thousands of lines of code), and they are immensely
important to their organizations. These two facts must be true
otherwise these applications would have been replaced over the years
with more modern technology, or simply retired long ago.

The reality is that IT shops that manage these critical applications
are understandably worried. With time running out on the platform on
which they run, no further vendor support, a vastly reduced developer
community, little in support of today's leading integration
technologies - an urgency has developed for many organizations with
respect to finding a way to move these applications off of both the
16-bit platform and the legacy Clipper language onto something more
modern.

Indeed, the collective understanding for these companies is that these
workhorse Clipper applications have become victims of their very
success. The huge investments made in these proprietary Clipper
applications that in many cases define their companies' very
competitive advantage, are now in serous jeopardy. A plan needs to be
made to reproduce the critical functionality these applications provide
in a modern environment, using a modern developer tool set in order to
ensure the success of these applications for another 20 years. The big
question is how?

Many organizations do not have the stomach for the cost ( and more
importantly the risk) involved in a "big bang" rewrite. And while
Clipper "clones" are available for the Win32 environment, many
organizations struggle with the realization that the Win32 environment
is also quickly becoming obsolete, surpassed by Microsoft's .Net
platform that has now been out for over 5 years and is entering its 3rd
major release. Businesses are not interested in migrating their
applications from a dead platform to one that is itself dying only to
have to face the same problem all over again in a few years time.

What's needed is a solution that will see 100% of a company's
Clipper investment migrated to the state-of-the-art .Net platform.
What is needed is a scientific approach, driven by proven
compiler/translation software techniques that will move a Clipper
application entirely to the .Net platform without having to "touch"
the source code. What is needed is a solution that guarantees no loss
of application functionality. What is needed is a low risk solution
provided by automated tools at a fixed price - one you feed Clipper
source code to and get out equivalent source code in any desired .Net
language including the very popular C# and VB.Net languages.

Introducing the "Clipper Migration ToolKit" (CMTK) from Software
Perspectives. This toolkit is a combination of software and services
designed specifically to address the increasing concerns surrounding
legacy Clipper applications that businesses are facing all over the
world. Simply put, the CMTK is a translation toolset that will take
any Clipper source code and automatically translate it into equivalent
code in the most popular .Net languages with no loss of functionality.

Software Perspectives plans to make the CMTK available to other
developers through its Clipper Migration ToolKit Partnership Program
(CMTKPP). This special partnership program is designed to empower
independent software vendors (ISVs) and consultants that have customers
still running Clipper applications. The CMTKPP will allow Clipper ISVs
and consultants to leverage their existing customer base to drive new
sources of revenue through innovative state-of-the-art Clipper
migration services using Software Perspectives' CMTK. The CMTKPP
provides access to the highly specialized CMTK for use in lucrative
Clipper migration p
From: Graham McKechnie on
Rod,

This sounds really hot. Your message has been sitting here for nearly 12
hours and not one reply.

Most organizations I get to visit these days - have never even heard of
Clipper.

Wish you luck with it, but I hope you get some bites.

Graham

From: RodDaSilva on
Graham

Well I did ask people to respond privately. I am sensitive to the fact
that this announcement will not be of interest to most here and me
posting it amounts to spam <g> (hopefully not completely off topic). I
am hoping that given my loyalty and contribution to the VO community
over the past decade people that know me will excuse me this one time
<g>.

All other info regarding the CMTK will be provided for now in a private
section of the www.CULEPlace.com website for those that express
interest as per the bottom of my long announcement.

And by the way...I already have lots of bites <g>.

Take care.
Rod

From: Mullet on
Hi Rod,

I am out of Clipper and VO now, but I think you are on the right track. You
are the only one who has offered a functional and practical solution for
Clipper/VO users to move forwards. You are small on hype and big on
delivery. Keep up the good work.

This is a public news group, so post what you want. I worked with your COM
stuff for years and it was excellent. If anyone doesn't like your posts they
can go back to there "pay per view" little club thingy. Am I right that you
can convert VO code to C#?

Jamie

From: "Marshall Rhinehart" mrhp on
Mullet,

> This is a public news group, so post what you want. I worked with your COM
> stuff for years and it was excellent. If anyone doesn't like your posts
> they can go back to there "pay per view" little club thingy.

Agreed. You wonder if the traffic in the 'club' is dwindling at the same
rate it is here. Maybe Graham can take a swim so they'll be something for
us to comment on. Perhaps we should just post C# questions...after all, if
we were serious 'VO' developers we'd pay to play...right?

Marshall