From: TaliesinSoft on
I just came across an internet posting at

<http://minimalmac.com/post/942415344/twenty-years-one-keyboard-guest-post-by-dave-caolo>

where

the author exults over the sounds made by the Apple Extended Keyboard
which he has used for some twenty years. Maybe I'm alone but the last
thing I want a keyboard to do is make clicking sounds when being typed
upon, and this is one of my reasons for so liking the Apple aluminum
keyboards, the amost total quietness as one types.

How do others feel?

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

From: Richard Maine on
TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft(a)me.com> wrote:

> the author exults over the sounds made by the Apple Extended Keyboard
> How do others feel?

I feel amazement that a keyboard is so versatile that it has storage,
video, printing, and all the other things implied by the crossposting.
Heck, my newsreader won't even let me reply without trimming the list
down to less than half of its original size. :-( (Looks like maybe
someone's reader acidentally crossposted to every Mac group he reads; I
doubt it was intentional.)

Oh, and while I'm pretty fond of my Apple aluminum keyboards, I do well
appreciate a keyboard that lets me know when it has positively
registered a keypress. The main things I like about the aluminum
keyboards are their combination of being lightweight yet sturdy, and the
ease of cleaning. Hmm. Speaking of which, looks like I ought to clean
this one again soon.

The thing I despise about the aluminum keyboards is not being able to
get a wireless one with the layout of the wired one.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: sbt on
In article <8cj103FbffU1(a)mid.individual.net>, TaliesinSoft
<taliesinsoft(a)me.com> wrote:

> I just came across an internet posting at
>

> <http://minimalmac.com/post/942415344/twenty-years-one-keyboard-guest-post-by-
> dave-caolo>
>
> where
>
> the author exults over the sounds made by the Apple Extended Keyboard
> which he has used for some twenty years. Maybe I'm alone but the last
> thing I want a keyboard to do is make clicking sounds when being typed
> upon, and this is one of my reasons for so liking the Apple aluminum
> keyboards, the amost total quietness as one types.
>
> How do others feel?

Well, I don't hear the sound from mine that's still hooked up to a
really old PowerMac 5300 (used as a TV set in the guest room). The one
thing I will aver is that, for me, that was the best computer keyboard
I've ever used in terms of feel ... they called it the Saratoga, which
was also the name of the ship I served on.

I have the extended aluminum keyboard on my 2009 iMac and I really
dislike the feel of it, but not as much as I dislike the feel of every
laptop keyboard I've ever used. Those of us who became touch typists in
the days of manual and electric typewriters tend to be somewhat more
picky about keyboards than those who grew up in the personal computer
era.

--
Spenser
From: Erik Richard Sørensen on

sbt wrote:
> In article <8cj103FbffU1(a)mid.individual.net>, TaliesinSoft
> <taliesinsoft(a)me.com> wrote:
>
>> I just came across an internet posting at
>>

>> <http://minimalmac.com/post/942415344/twenty-years-one-keyboard-guest-post-by-
>> dave-caolo>
>>
>> where
>>
>> the author exults over the sounds made by the Apple Extended Keyboard
>> which he has used for some twenty years. Maybe I'm alone but the last
>> thing I want a keyboard to do is make clicking sounds when being typed
>> upon, and this is one of my reasons for so liking the Apple aluminum
>> keyboards, the amost total quietness as one types.
>>
>> How do others feel?
>
> Well, I don't hear the sound from mine that's still hooked up to a
> really old PowerMac 5300 (used as a TV set in the guest room). The one
> thing I will aver is that, for me, that was the best computer keyboard
> I've ever used in terms of feel ... they called it the Saratoga, which
> was also the name of the ship I served on.

I too is one of those who really miss that oldie. I still have 3 new
ones here on the shelves, if I one day again should put my hands on an
older ADB machine. The 'saratoga' is the best ever keyboard that Apple
has made. One can type and type for hours without getting tired in the
fingers. - Sad that Griffin gave up making the iMate better so it would
be usable on the newer machines...

> I have the extended aluminum keyboard on my 2009 iMac and I really
> dislike the feel of it, but not as much as I dislike the feel of every
> laptop keyboard I've ever used. Those of us who became touch typists in
> the days of manual and electric typewriters tend to be somewhat more
> picky about keyboards than those who grew up in the personal computer
> era.

I don't like - or more correctly - my fingers don't like the newer
Apåple keyboards. - I've tried quite a few both the Apple ones and those
from LOogitech and Microsoft. I have ended up with one of the large
Microsoft multimedia keyboards with 21 extra programmable keys, which I
now use on my MacPro. - Also I have another MS keyboard - the Comfort
Curve, which also is very usable with it's a bit larger keys. - Thus
these two, I still miss the Saratoga:.-)

Cheers, Erik Richard

Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <mac-manNOSP(a)Mstofanet.dk>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <8cj103FbffU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft(a)me.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm alone but the last
> thing I want a keyboard to do is make clicking sounds when being typed
> upon, and this is one of my reasons for so liking the Apple aluminum
> keyboards, the amost total quietness as one types.
>
> How do others feel?

You're definitely not alone. One of the things I like most about Apple's
latest keyboards is that I can type at work without everyone around me
hearing every single key click I make! : )

[Follow-up set to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc]

JR