From: Robert Peirce on
In article <everyday-285B20.22164311082010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Gerry <everyday(a)sunrise.net> wrote:

> Put the album in a playlist then command click on one of the unchecked
> boxes, this will then check mark all tunes to uncheck them all again
> just command click any of the tunes.

Neat!! You can also do this to the entire list. I tried selecting part
of the whole list and command clicking but it still did the whole list.
I then tried various combinations of clicking with no luck, so it looks
like yours may be the only solution.

> Your fighting iTunes preferences by placing the group members in the
> Album Artist field, put them in the Comments field and you'll be much
> happier.

I know that now. Unfortunately, I thought comments were not searchable
and album artist meant artists on the album. I now know how to make
comments searchable, but I don't know how to move all the entries in
album artist to the respective comments other than one at a time, which
would take forever. A related problem, which is not really critical,
is my delimiter is ', ' which needs to be converted to <LF>. I thought
Automator might be able to do this but not that I've been able to figure
out.
From: Gerry on
In article <bob-67B8E4.09364812082010(a)5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>,
Robert Peirce <bob(a)peirce-family.com> wrote:

A related problem, which is not really critical,
> is my delimiter is ', ' which needs to be converted to <LF>. I thought
> Automator might be able to do this but not that I've been able to figure
> out.

Why do you need to change the comma to a <LF> as the comments field
will be in reality just a database and can be searched just as well as a
string of names separated by the comma.

I was working on my B.B. King collection yesterday and was adding dates
and musicians to the comments field, in several cases I was able to copy
the information directly from the web and used TextEdit to format the
information as a string, and then pasted the musicians in multiple
tracks at one time.

You mentioned John Coltrane in your original post, there are
discographies of his work on the internet where the musicians, session
dates and locations can be easily copied and pasted directly into the
comments field. When you completed this you can then select all your
Coltrane tracks, get info on all of them and put a check mark in the box
for Album Artist, clicking OK and all the multi-musicians will be gone.

You may wish to take a look at this web site:

<http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/index.php>

Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes which can automate many tasks involving
editing the id tags and organizing information. If you use any it is
well worth it to make a donation to help continue the existence of this
valuable site.
From: AV3 on
On Aug/12/2010 9:3648 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
> In article<everyday-285B20.22164311082010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Gerry<everyday(a)sunrise.net> wrote:
>
>> Put the album in a playlist then command click on one of the unchecked
>> boxes, this will then check mark all tunes to uncheck them all again
>> just command click any of the tunes.
>
> Neat!! You can also do this to the entire list. I tried selecting part
> of the whole list and command clicking but it still did the whole list.
> I then tried various combinations of clicking with no luck, so it looks
> like yours may be the only solution.
>
>> Your fighting iTunes preferences by placing the group members in the
>> Album Artist field, put them in the Comments field and you'll be much
>> happier.
>
> I know that now. Unfortunately, I thought comments were not searchable
> and album artist meant artists on the album. I now know how to make
> comments searchable, but I don't know how to move all the entries in
> album artist to the respective comments other than one at a time, which
> would take forever. A related problem, which is not really critical,
> is my delimiter is ', ' which needs to be converted to<LF>. I thought
> Automator might be able to do this but not that I've been able to figure
> out.

It would help if Apple got better advice about the titles used in those
fields. I understand "Album Artist" to indicate the designer of the
album cover and "Artist" to indicate the performers on the album. In
classical music I too often find from Grace Note files that many people
interepret "Artist" to indicate the composer of the music. I suggest
"Performer" and "Cover Designer" alongside "Composer," which seems to
get overlooked, since it is not a default category.

--
++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====++
||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <arvimideQ(a)Wearthlink.net> ||
From: Gerry on
In article <i410i0$j7a$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
AV3 <arvimide(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> It would help if Apple got better advice about the titles used in those
> fields. I understand "Album Artist" to indicate the designer of the
> album cover and "Artist" to indicate the performers on the album. In
> classical music I too often find from Grace Note files that many people
> interepret "Artist" to indicate the composer of the music. I suggest
> "Performer" and "Cover Designer" alongside "Composer," which seems to
> get overlooked, since it is not a default category.

I always put the composer in the Artist field and the
musicans/orchestra/conductor in the Comments field, that way I can
easily sort all the Johann Sebastian Bach tracks from all those other
Bachs, and I can still search on a particular string quartet that I
might prefer while listing to Bartok six quartets.
From: Wes Groleau on
On 08-12-2010 09:36, Robert Peirce wrote:
> I then tried various combinations of clicking with no luck, so it looks
> like yours may be the only solution.

Nope—at least one other: click anywhere in the list and do Command-A

--
Wes Groleau

Thinking it Through, Two
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=506