From: Robert Peirce on
Is there any way to do a global or selected box check? I normally have
all tunes unchecked and check the ones I want to listen to. However, if
I want to listen to an entire album, for example, I would like to be
able to select all the tunes and play them. I haven't figured out a way
to do that. I thought maybe album view would do it but it only plays
the first tune.

Another problem with album view is I use the album artist field to code
group members and that leads to multiple album listings for a single
album unless the group members are the same on each cut. That's another
problem I have to resolve. Now that I know how to make the comment
field searchable, I may move them there, but I would prefer to find a
way to have album view look at the artist field rather than the album
artist field.
From: Gerry on
In article <bob-921E15.00315212082010(a)5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>,
Robert Peirce <bob(a)peirce-family.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to do a global or selected box check? I normally have
> all tunes unchecked and check the ones I want to listen to. However, if
> I want to listen to an entire album, for example, I would like to be
> able to select all the tunes and play them. I haven't figured out a way
> to do that. I thought maybe album view would do it but it only plays
> the first tune.

Put the album in a playlist then command click on one of the unchecked
boxes, this will then check mark all tunes to uncheck them all again
just command click any of the tunes.

> Another problem with album view is I use the album artist field to code
> group members and that leads to multiple album listings for a single
> album unless the group members are the same on each cut. That's another
> problem I have to resolve. Now that I know how to make the comment
> field searchable, I may move them there, but I would prefer to find a
> way to have album view look at the artist field rather than the album
> artist field.

Your fighting iTunes preferences by placing the group members in the
Album Artist field, put them in the Comments field and you'll be much
happier.
From: Wayne C. Morris on
In article <bob-921E15.00315212082010(a)5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>,
Robert Peirce <bob(a)peirce-family.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to do a global or selected box check? I normally have
> all tunes unchecked and check the ones I want to listen to. However, if
> I want to listen to an entire album, for example, I would like to be
> able to select all the tunes and play them. I haven't figured out a way
> to do that. I thought maybe album view would do it but it only plays
> the first tune.

Instead of keeping everything unchecked, just leave them all checked, and create
temporary playlists when you want to listen to something. It shouldn't be much
more work than what you're doing now, and selecting one or more albums to play
will be very easy.

To create a new playlist, just select all the tunes you want by using
shift-click or command-click, then drag & drop onto the "Playlists" heading in
the left pane. Or drag an album onto the Playlists heading to create a playlist
for that album.

Or just keep a normally-empty playlist, and add songs or albums to it when you
want to listen to something.

When your playlist is ready, select it and click play. When finished listening,
delete the songs from the playlist.
From: Robert Peirce on
In article
<wayne.morris-344CAD.19580112082010(a)mx01.eternal-september.org>,
"Wayne C. Morris" <wayne.morris(a)this.is.invalid> wrote:

> In article <bob-921E15.00315212082010(a)5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>,
> Robert Peirce <bob(a)peirce-family.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there any way to do a global or selected box check? I normally have
> > all tunes unchecked and check the ones I want to listen to. However, if
> > I want to listen to an entire album, for example, I would like to be
> > able to select all the tunes and play them. I haven't figured out a way
> > to do that. I thought maybe album view would do it but it only plays
> > the first tune.
>
> Instead of keeping everything unchecked, just leave them all checked, and
> create
> temporary playlists when you want to listen to something. It shouldn't be
> much
> more work than what you're doing now, and selecting one or more albums to
> play
> will be very easy.

Of course! I leave them unchecked because they are checked when I add a
CD and this allows me to keep track of what has been edited. However,
once that is done there isn't really a good reason not to check
everything. Thanks.