From: Rob Parker on
Thanks for that, John,

I'll give your suggestions a try later today when I've got time, and post
back what happens. Now that you mention it, perhaps my problem is arising
because I've got Excel set up to silently open a workbook with various
custom macros; the standard xlApp.Quit/Set xlApp = Nothing which I'm using
might be failing because of this.

Rob

From: Rob Parker on
Hi John,

Well, I've done some testing, with the following results:

Your suggestion to loop through all open workbooks fails. If I uncomment my
xlWrk.Close line, then Set xlWrk = Nothing before the loop, a debug.print
just before the loop tells me that xlApp.Workbooks.Count = 0. So the
problem wasn't some hidden workbook causing Excel to remain open. The issue
of why Set xlApp = Nothing fails to close the Excel process still remains.

Fortunately, the cunning function that retrieves worksheet names without
automating Excel does an excellent job! Many thanks for that reference - I
suspect it might be something I'll use a lot ;-)

Rob

For the benefit of any others watching this thread, my code is now as
follows:

Private Sub GetXLSData(strFilename As String)
Dim vWSNames As Variant
Dim vShtName As Variant

On Error GoTo GetXLSData_Error

vWSNames = GetWSNames(strFilename)
For Each vShtName In vWSNames
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, , "tblFSFTTest", strFilename, True,
vShtName & "!"
Next vShtName

ExitPoint:
Exit Sub

GetXLSData_Error:
' specific error handling snipped for this posting
End Sub

And the function which makes this all work (in a separate module):
'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' Author : Jake Marx, June 2004
' Posted in : microsoft.public.excel.programming
' Purpose : Returns names of all worksheets in Excel file, without opening
Excel via automation method.
'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'
Public Function GetWSNames(ByVal WBPath As String) As Variant
Dim adCn As Object
Dim adRs As Object
Dim asSheets() As String
Dim nShtNum As Long
Dim nRows As Long
Dim nRowCounter As Long
Dim sSheet As String
Dim sChar1 As String
Dim sChar2 As String

Const INDICATOR_SHEET As String = "$"
Const INDICATOR_SPACES As String = "'"

Set adCn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

With adCn
.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB" & _
".4.0;Data Source=" & WBPath & ";Extended " & _
"Properties=""Excel 8.0;HDR=Yes"""
.CursorLocation = 3
.Open
End With

Set adRs = adCn.OpenSchema(20)
With adRs
nRows = .RecordCount
For nRowCounter = 0 To nRows - 1
sSheet = !TABLE_NAME
sChar1 = vbNullString
sChar2 = vbNullString
On Error Resume Next
sChar1 = Mid$(sSheet, Len(sSheet), 1)
sChar2 = Mid$(sSheet, Len(sSheet) - 1, 1)
On Error GoTo 0

Select Case sChar1
Case INDICATOR_SHEET
sSheet = Left$(sSheet, Len(sSheet) - 1)
Case INDICATOR_SPACES
If sChar2 = INDICATOR_SHEET Then
sSheet = Mid$(sSheet, 2, Len(sSheet) - 3)
End If
Case Else
sSheet = vbNullString
End Select

If Len(sSheet) > 0 Then
ReDim Preserve asSheets(nShtNum)

' Un-escape
asSheets(nShtNum) = Replace(sSheet, _
INDICATOR_SPACES & INDICATOR_SPACES, _
INDICATOR_SPACES)

nShtNum = nShtNum + 1
End If

.MoveNext
Next
.Close
End With
adCn.Close

GetWSNames = asSheets

End Function

"John Nurick" <j.mapSoN.nurick(a)dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Hi Rob,
>
> IME it's never a bad idea to explicitly close all workbooks before
> quitting Excel. It's at least theoretically possible for an add-in to
> open a workbook behind your back, and there are circumstances in which
> Excel recalculates a workbook on opening and then asks whether to save
> changes on closing even though you haven't done anything yourself. So
> try something like this:
>
> Set xlWrk = Nothing
> Do While xlApp.Workbooks.Count > 0
> xlApp.Workbooks(1).Close False 'close without saving
> Loop
> xlApp.Quit
> Set xlApp = Nothing
>
> Alternatively, search Google Groups for
> loop through worksheet names audibly
> and you'll find a cunning function that retrieves worksheet names
> without automating Excel.

<large snip of text and code form original post>

From: RoyVidar on
Rob Parker wrote in message <#QSGtn4jGHA.4368(a)TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl> :
[snip]
> The issue of why Set xlApp =
> Nothing fails to close the Excel process still remains.
[snip]

I *think* the challenge stems from accesing the same file both through
an automated instance of Excel, and through the transfer-thingie at the
same time. Either both of them invokes Excel, or the usage of both
methods on the same file creates the hiccup (methinks).

To use automation to retrieve the workseet names, I think I'd stuff
them
(the sheet names) into for instance an array, then close/quit Excel
before attempting to use the transfer-thingie.

It could be a possibility some strategically placed DoEvents could
yield
sufficient to clean up between attempts (though I doubt it).

--
Roy-Vidar

From: John Nurick on
I'd wondered about that too. TransferSpreadsheet uses the Excel ISAM
which - as far as I know - doesn't invoke an instance of Excel; but I've
never got round to working out how to confirm this (short of setting up
a machine with Access but not Excel and then trying to import from a
workbook file).

From: Rob Parker on
Hi John and Roy,

I can't say for certain, but it appears (from carefully watching the Process
tab in Windows task Manager) that the TransferSpreadsheet method does not
invoke an Excel process.

However, following Roy's comment, I tried commenting out the
TransferSpreadsheet line in the innermost loop of my , and simply
debug.printing the name of each sheet. In that case, the first instance of
Excel IS removed when the loop finishes.

Thanks, Roy. Now I know what the real problem is. And, as I said in my
last reply to John, the function to get the sheet names without opening
Excel allows me to do what I need to.

> I'd wondered about that too. TransferSpreadsheet uses the Excel ISAM
> which - as far as I know - doesn't invoke an instance of Excel; but I've
> never got round to working out how to confirm this (short of setting up
> a machine with Access but not Excel and then trying to import from a
> workbook file).
>
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:16:27 +0200, RoyVidar <roy_vidarNOSPAM(a)yahoo.no>
> wrote:
>
>>Rob Parker wrote in message <#QSGtn4jGHA.4368(a)TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl> :
>>[snip]
>>> The issue of why Set xlApp =
>>> Nothing fails to close the Excel process still remains.
>>[snip]
>>
>>I *think* the challenge stems from accesing the same file both through
>>an automated instance of Excel, and through the transfer-thingie at the
>>same time. Either both of them invokes Excel, or the usage of both
>>methods on the same file creates the hiccup (methinks).
>>
>>To use automation to retrieve the workseet names, I think I'd stuff
>>them
>>(the sheet names) into for instance an array, then close/quit Excel
>>before attempting to use the transfer-thingie.
>>
>>It could be a possibility some strategically placed DoEvents could
>>yield
>>sufficient to clean up between attempts (though I doubt it).
>
> --
> John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]
>
> Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: ADHResize2K error
Next: Highlight Current Row