From: softWare design on
Hi Folks,

Many years ago most Cobol developers have came to the
conclusion that Cobol's file system is closed, especially
when access to corporate data is required, and perhaps it
should be replaced by RDBs wherever possible.

Thus my question is:

Why Cobol's vendors do not develop their indexed file
systems to be as open and robust as, file systems in
database management systems such as SQLs, SAP and
Oracle?

Appreciate your comments.....

From: Michael Mattias on
"softWare design" <sabraham(a)baxglobal.com> wrote in message

> Why Cobol's vendors do not develop their indexed file
> systems to be as open and robust as, file systems in
> database management systems such as SQLs, SAP and
> Oracle?

First, comparing COBOL [compilers] with SAP and/orOracle[is comparing
applies and oranges. COBOL is a programming language, SAP an applications
suite, and Oracle either a DBMS or application suite.

COBOL v SQL is a fairer comparison in that both are standard
'languages')....however, neither has anything do with "openness" beyond its
officially supported syntax.

"Robustness" is more appropriately considered in the context of brand
comparisons of like products.

Second - a guess to answer the question as I think you meant to ask it.. or
perhaps answering the question which should have been asked....

COBOL compliler vendors do not offer more extensive data access facilities
because vendors as of COBOL compilers they are concerned with supporting the
COBOL access verbs, not with trying to create a competive standalone DBMS;
nor are they particularly interested in supporting access by
non-COBOL-developed programs, since that would be cutting their own throats.

FWIW, many vendors do offer "Applications Programming Interfaces" to their
own DBMS systems, supported by the COBOL "CALL" verb. If you don't like the
'native' file management system provided by the compiler vendor, you are
perfectly free and able to use another data management scheme.... bearing in
mind those other systems have no obligation to support the COBOL syntax for
media storage access.

MCM

From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:29:57 -0700 (PDT), softWare design
<sabraham(a)baxglobal.com> wrote:

>Many years ago most Cobol developers have came to the
>conclusion that Cobol's file system is closed, especially
>when access to corporate data is required, and perhaps it
>should be replaced by RDBs wherever possible.
>
>Thus my question is:
>
>Why Cobol's vendors do not develop their indexed file
>systems to be as open and robust as, file systems in
>database management systems such as SQLs, SAP and
>Oracle?
>
>Appreciate your comments.....

I suspect most CoBOL developers work with mainframe & mini computers.
In that case, they use the same file systems as everybody else.

So I infer that you find indexed file systems used by Windows based
CoBOL programs to be less than robust. Those are where the file
system had to be created by compiler makers to make up for Windows
shortcomings. I haven't had experience with them - what are their
lacks?
From: softWare design on
On Jul 23, 1:22 pm, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:

> I suspect most CoBOL developers work with mainframe & mini computers.
> In that case, they use the same file systems as everybody else.
>
> So I infer that you find indexed file systems used by Windows based
> CoBOL programs to be less than robust.    Those are where the file
> system had to be created by compiler makers to make up for Windows
> shortcomings.    I haven't had experience with them - what are their
> lacks?

Yes, I am referring to indexed file systems that are created by
compiler makers on Windows based networks (2k and XP).
They tend to get corrupted frequently for various reasons
especially when storing massive number of records.

They are also considered to be Closed systems. Accessing
them by external clients or customers would require creating
new programs to get into the data with the desired formats.

From: Richard on
On Jul 24, 7:29 am, softWare design <sabra...(a)baxglobal.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Many years ago most Cobol developers have came to the
> conclusion that Cobol's file system is closed, especially
> when access to corporate data is required,

What survey data did use to come to this conclusion ?

On mainframes and many other systems the 'Cobol file system' is the
'Operating System's file system'.

> and perhaps it
> should be replaced by RDBs wherever possible.

Being replaced by RDBs was for the functionality, not because of lack
of access.

> Thus my question is:
>
> Why Cobol's vendors do not develop their indexed file
> systems to be as open

On Unix and DOS/Windows where there is no built-in indexed file system
many Cobols give the facility to use C-ISAM (which was adopted by X/
Open as a standard) and/or BTrieve which is common with Netware.

Several also use a call interface which allows replacement of the file
system by some other and/or use of the called routines by other
languages.

> and robust as, file systems in

I find that the Microfocus and Fujitsu indexed systems to be robust.
But then I use these on Linux.

> database management systems such as SQLs, SAP and
> Oracle?

These file systems are proprietry and are _NOT_ 'open'.