From: Michel Demazure on
Thomas Sawyer wrote:

> No matter how hard a new paradigms is, it must still be taught.

Dear All,

Indeed !

Please do not end this very interesting discussion. Some people may be
eagerly following it without participating (at least I am).

From: Michal Suchanek on
On 13 February 2010 19:07, David Masover <ninja(a)slaphack.com> wrote:

> I doubt it. I think what's much more useful is that ECMAScript has prototypal
> inheritance. If you're talking about the fact that I can "steal" a method from
> one class and apply it to another, there is only one thing stopping this in
> Ruby, and it's some anal-retentive type-safety thing probably leftover from
> Java or C++ -- the fact that you can't bind an UnboundMethod to anything
> that's not either a direct class or a subclass of the class that UnboundMethod
> was originally defined on.

Obviously, if you unbind a method from Array which is implemented in C
you cannot rebind it to something else. This restrictions is probably
less meaningful for pure ruby methods but allowing some methods to be
rebound freely and restrict others does not sound very nice either.

Thanks

Michal

From: Brian Candler on
> Please do not end this very interesting discussion. Some people may be
> eagerly following it without participating (at least I am).

I've been taking apart one of the Smalltalk examples in an attempt to
understand it and perhaps port bits of it to Ruby. Trygve himself has
been gracious in helping me through this process. You can follow the
discussion here:

http://groups.google.com/group/object-composition/browse_thread/thread/854df3a328e1c263

From: James Coplien on
Thomas Sawyer wrote:
> On Feb 16, 11:41�am, James Coplien <jcopl...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> hard, and it will take a while to unlearn old ways and to learn new.
> No matter how hard anew paradigms is, it must still be taught.

No. I was a professional educator for several years. One thing you find
in the theories of education is that though many things can be learned,
only some of them can be taught — in the normal Western application of
the word "teaching."

The normal model of education, as described by educators like Piaget, is
to move from the known to the unknown. The essence of a paradigm shift,
according to Kuhn, is that the new paradigm is irreconcilable with the
old. I think that's what we're faced with here. As such, I think the
best way to learn is through practice.

Furthermore, I think it is better to think of DCI as a community effort
to explore a new space, working with each other, than to have the Master
"instruct" the newbies. It is true that Trygve and I have about ten
years of thought about this, and we're happy to relate our experiences.
That's why I'm here — to give. That's why Trygve has published so many
reports and why we published a joint report on Artima. That's why I have
spent the past three years writing a book on this (and related) topics.
Learning this will take hard work: don't expect to be spoon-fed.

From: Michel Demazure on
Brian Candler wrote:
You can follow the
> discussion here: