From: user on

"Daave" <dcwashNOSPAM(a)myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote in message news:-LWdnTbxoeUJfnjYnZ2dnUVZ_uqvnZ2d(a)cavtel.net...
> Shep� wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:58:33 +1100Whilst not letting inanimate objects
> > know we are in a hurry "user" <noemail.com> sent this :
>
> >> Download K-lite codecs pack which should fix your
> >> codec deficiency; and it also contains media player classic
> >> which will play your avi files.
> >> http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
> >
> > This is why I changed to it and promote it.I found it by accident and
> > it's also less invasive than VLC etc and seems very stable.I also
> > like the old feature that you can play two or more instances of files
> > at once.
>
> I'm thinking of doing the same. Is there anything I need to know first?
> Is it okay to keep all my current codecs?

K-Lite will update your current codecs, as well as add many more
that may be missing; and give you much more control over them.

>If I make MPC my default
> player, will it also be incorporated into my Web browser (as WMP already
> is)?

It`s better to leave your updated windows media player as the default
for your web browser; and use the classic version as a stand-alone
ie: open classic version then the file to play...rather than open file to
open player...re associated to (hope that maks sense?)

Also, windows media player classic will play .VOB files (DVD movie files),
where-as media player 9 won`t...well I couldn`t get it to anyway.

I`m new to this stuff, so excuse and correct any mis-imformation. ;)

From: Daave on
user wrote:
> "Daave" <dcwashNOSPAM(a)myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote in message
>> If I make MPC my default player, will it also be incorporated into
>> my Web browser (as WMP already is)?
>
> It`s better to leave your updated windows media player as the default
> for your web browser; and use the classic version as a stand-alone
> ie: open classic version then the file to play...rather than open file
> open player...re associated to (hope that maks sense?)

The reason I ask is I never bothered updating my WMP beyond version 6.
But there are some sites that apparently require version 9 for
streaming-in-the-browser. (And I would imagine 9 is starting to become
obsolete.) Usually I use a sniffer in these cases and run a standalone
media player, opening the url I discovered, but I'd like an easier, more
streamlined way to do this.

It would be nice if MPC could send out a message to the Web site that it
is WMP (thus fooling the server into allowing me to view the streaming
file with minimum effort).

From: Shep� on
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:45:03 +1100Whilst not letting inanimate objects
know we are in a hurry "user" <noemail.com> sent this :

>"Daave" <dcwashNOSPAM(a)myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote in message news:-LWdnTbxoeUJfnjYnZ2dnUVZ_uqvnZ2d(a)cavtel.net...
>> Shep� wrote:
>> > On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:58:33 +1100Whilst not letting inanimate objects
>> > know we are in a hurry "user" <noemail.com> sent this :

>> > This is why I changed to it and promote it.I found it by accident and
>> > it's also less invasive than VLC etc and seems very stable.I also
>> > like the old feature that you can play two or more instances of files
>> > at once.
>>
>> I'm thinking of doing the same. Is there anything I need to know first?
>> Is it okay to keep all my current codecs?
>
>K-Lite will update your current codecs, as well as add many more
>that may be missing; and give you much more control over them.
>
>>If I make MPC my default
>> player, will it also be incorporated into my Web browser (as WMP already
>> is)?
>
>It`s better to leave your updated windows media player as the default
>for your web browser; and use the classic version as a stand-alone
>ie: open classic version then the file to play...rather than open file to
>open player...re associated to (hope that maks sense?)
>
>Also, windows media player classic will play .VOB files (DVD movie files),
>where-as media player 9 won`t...well I couldn`t get it to anyway.
>
>I`m new to this stuff, so excuse and correct any mis-imformation. ;)

As above and if you need to you change what program plays your media
files at a later date if required.
I've even installed K-lite on my XP system as I don't like the bloat
of WMP :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,