From: Bill W... on
Hello again, all I know is that a codec is a compression/decompresion
plugin.
Can anyone say with authority if Windows 98se can NOT handle the modern
"avi" files? Ihave Media Player 9 and it works well with audio files but
video
files are a problem. Most attempts to watch a video other than mpeg brings
up the error message: No codecs installed to view the...bla bla bla. Tried
to download a lot of stuff but it seems to be all for Windows xp.
Thanks...Bill W.

From: user on

"Bill W..." <william.walsh2(a)cox.net> wrote in message news:ze4Fh.219754$IL1.208653(a)newsfe13.lga...
> Hello again, all I know is that a codec is a compression/decompresion
> plugin.
> Can anyone say with authority if Windows 98se can NOT handle the modern
> "avi" files? Ihave Media Player 9 and it works well with audio files but
> video
> files are a problem. Most attempts to watch a video other than mpeg brings
> up the error message: No codecs installed to view the...bla bla bla. Tried
> to download a lot of stuff but it seems to be all for Windows xp.
> Thanks...Bill W.

Download K-lite codecs pack which should fix your
codec deficiency; and it also contains media player classic
which will play your avi files.
http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

From: Shep� on
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:58:33 +1100Whilst not letting inanimate objects
know we are in a hurry "user" <noemail.com> sent this :

>"Bill W..." <william.walsh2(a)cox.net> wrote in message news:ze4Fh.219754$IL1.208653(a)newsfe13.lga...
>> Hello again, all I know is that a codec is a compression/decompresion
>> plugin.
>> Can anyone say with authority if Windows 98se can NOT handle the modern
>> "avi" files? Ihave Media Player 9 and it works well with audio files but
>> video
>> files are a problem. Most attempts to watch a video other than mpeg brings
>> up the error message: No codecs installed to view the...bla bla bla. Tried
>> to download a lot of stuff but it seems to be all for Windows xp.
>> Thanks...Bill W.
>>
>Download K-lite codecs pack which should fix your
>codec deficiency; and it also contains media player classic
>which will play your avi files.
>http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

This is why I changed to it and promote it.I found it by accident and
it's also less invasive than VLC etc and seems very stable.I also
like the old feature that you can play two or more instances of files
at once.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
From: Bill W... on
Hello all, thanks,especially to "user" for the great tip. The K-lite
download and setup were easy and everything is working well. All 98se users
should take heed of this advice.....Bill W...

From: Daave on
Shep� wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:58:33 +1100Whilst not letting inanimate objects
> know we are in a hurry "user" <noemail.com> sent this :

>> Download K-lite codecs pack which should fix your
>> codec deficiency; and it also contains media player classic
>> which will play your avi files.
>> http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
>
> This is why I changed to it and promote it.I found it by accident and
> it's also less invasive than VLC etc and seems very stable.I also
> like the old feature that you can play two or more instances of files
> at once.

I'm thinking of doing the same. Is there anything I need to know first?
Is it okay to keep all my current codecs? If I make MPC my default
player, will it also be incorporated into my Web browser (as WMP already
is)?

--
Dave