From: Longfellow on
Newbie setting up a digital darkroom: HP Pavilion kit, 64bit 4 proc.,
25" monitor (seems fully adjustable); Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400
(first version); Epson 3800; Adobe CS5 and LR3. So far, that is...

And now I need to calibrate all this lest I get driven to dire and
unwarranted actions because nothing matches anything else. So far, it
seems that Colormunki (sp?) gets the nod. But what Colormunki?

A "google" gets to a website ostensibly run by Italians (Designorati?),
where they explain that there are three Colormunki solutions. The black
device is for the photographer, the white device for the graphic
designer, and the less expensive device is intended for photographers
who don't want or need all the bells and whistles that come with the
black one. Don't know if I've got it right, but that's the sense I was
given on reading it.

I'm curious about the experiences of other Colormunki users. Is the
site indeed correct about the intended usages of each system? Is there
any caveat awaiting the unwary newbie?

Thanks for reading.

Longfellow

From: Udo Hübner on
Longfellow schrieb:
> And now I need to calibrate all this lest I get driven to dire and
> unwarranted actions because nothing matches anything else. So far, it
> seems that Colormunki (sp?) gets the nod. But what Colormunki?

Hi Longfellow -

I am using Color-Munki for calibration of my monitors and printers with
very good results. The handling is simple and the software easy.
The link to the company is : (I took the english link for you.)

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1115

My system: Vista-64, Photoshop CS3, Eizo Flexscan S2111W

Regards Udo
From: Mike G. on
On 7/9/2010 6:17 PM, Longfellow wrote:
> Newbie setting up a digital darkroom: HP Pavilion kit, 64bit 4 proc.,
> 25" monitor (seems fully adjustable); Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400
> (first version); Epson 3800; Adobe CS5 and LR3. So far, that is...
>
> And now I need to calibrate all this lest I get driven to dire and
> unwarranted actions because nothing matches anything else. So far, it
> seems that Colormunki (sp?) gets the nod. But what Colormunki?
>
> A "google" gets to a website ostensibly run by Italians (Designorati?),
> where they explain that there are three Colormunki solutions. The black
> device is for the photographer, the white device for the graphic
> designer, and the less expensive device is intended for photographers
> who don't want or need all the bells and whistles that come with the
> black one. Don't know if I've got it right, but that's the sense I was
> given on reading it.
>
> I'm curious about the experiences of other Colormunki users. Is the
> site indeed correct about the intended usages of each system? Is there
> any caveat awaiting the unwary newbie?
>
> Thanks for reading.
>
> Longfellow

Chromix, a company which services color professionals, just had an
article in their most recent newsletter which you may find interesting.
It gives a good overview of monitor profiling, including all of the
things that need to be considered due to the emergence of more capable
monitors (wide gamut, rgb led backlit, etc), and discusses the different
classed of profiling devices. Scroll down to about the middle of the
newsletter to find the article.

http://www2.chromix.com/colorsmarts/smartNote.cxsa?snid=50131&-session=SessID:43A656BD115c620A47ssx2ABBEC0