From: Pratta on
Hi All,
When I select the compare function it begins to compare and then half way
through the following run-time error appears:
"Run-time error "1101". The argument is not valid."
And once I select ok the following error occurs:
"An error occurred in the COM Add-in named: Compare Project Versions Error
#:440.
Please restart Microsoft Office Project to restart the COM Add-in."
I have been on the web and I've tried the following fixes but still getting
the same error.
-Ensure duplicate columns don't exist in the table
-Remove the COM Add-in 'Compare Project Versions Utility' and add back

Any assistance greatly appreciated
Pratta
From: JulieS on
Hello Pratta,

The compare project function uses unique IDs (task and resource) to
make the comparison. Are the two project files you are attempting
to compare different versions of the same file?

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

From: Pratta on
Hi Julie

Yes. We are trying to provide program managers with a view of schedule
changes - inserted and deleted tasks, since the last reviewed schedule. Week
one version to Week 2 version.

From: JulieS on
Hi Pratta,

Have you been able to get the compare function to work with any
Project 2007 files? What service pack do you have applied?

I just ran another quick test using files created in Project 2007
using SP-2. I could not reproduce what you report.

Please try a test run on two versions of another file and let us
know how it goes.

Julie

From: Jim Aksel on
The compare utility requires a table for the basis of comparison. So, if the
displayed table in each version of the file contains different variables,
this may cause the crash. As Julie mentioned, the files must share a common
ancestor as well.

--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com