From: Chris T on
Maybe my subject isn't great, but here's the situation: I have lots of
strings, some of them may be similar to another. Is there something
out there that (magically!) calculates the similarity, or maybe a
match percentage between two strings?

I have some theories on how to do this programatically, but would
rather use something that's already been tested.
From: Arthur Tabachneck on
Chris,

Take a look at the functions shown in the following thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.sas/browse_thread/thread/bd902a1d31fb7a84

HTH,
Art
--------------

From: Patrick on
Besides this interesting thread Art refers to:

There is also the "SAS Data Quality Server " out there which alows you
to calculate match codes (i.e. on 95% probability)
http://support.sas.com/documentation/whatsnew/91x/dqclrefwhatsnew900.htm.

Sure worth to have a look into it in case your site has got a license.

HTH
Patrick
From: Sigurd Hermansen on
On http://sconsig.com/ (tip 00342) shows an extended example of the use of the SAS SPEDIS() function (the function that resolves certain spelling errors in SAS programs) when comparing strings for similarity score. We use this "cost of rearranging string1 to match string2" function for many purposes.

Maybe my subject isn't great, but here's the situation: I have lots of
strings, some of them may be similar to another. Is there something
out there that (magically!) calculates the similarity, or maybe a
match percentage between two strings?

I have some theories on how to do this programatically, but would
rather use something that's already been tested.

Pages: 1
Prev: sas time value
Next: Schemper's V macro sas 9.2