From: Luke on
Hi,
I have application compiled in eVC++ 3.0 for Pocket PC 2002.
When I install this app on PocketPC 2003 message appears, that this
application is for old Windows version, but it runs successfully. Does
anybody know how to avoid showing this message without recompilling code in
eVC++ 4.0 for PPC 2003? Any modification in inf or ini file? If this is
impossible how to prepare install version for both PPC 2002 and 2003? I need
two cabs files, for 2002 and 2003???
From: Robert Scott on
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:07:03 -0800, "=?Utf-8?B?THVrZQ==?="
<Luke(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have application compiled in eVC++ 3.0 for Pocket PC 2002.
>When I install this app on PocketPC 2003 message appears, that this
>application is for old Windows version, but it runs successfully. Does
>anybody know how to avoid showing this message without recompilling code in
>eVC++ 4.0 for PPC 2003? Any modification in inf or ini file? If this is
>impossible how to prepare install version for both PPC 2002 and 2003? I need
>two cabs files, for 2002 and 2003???

In the section in your .INF file where you have version information,
add the line:

BuildMax = 0xe0000000

This tells a little white lie and says your program is aware of the
different screen formats supported on 2003SE. It will suppress that
message that you mentioned. However, you then need to tell your users
not to try to use landscape mode with your app because it will look
funny. You only need one CAB file to do that.

On the other hand, if you really want to support landscape
orientation, then you will need two CAB files - one for the old OS and
one for the new.

-Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan
(Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply address is fake.)
From: Claus Henning on
Robert Scott schrieb/wrote:
> On the other hand, if you really want to support landscape
> orientation, then you will need two CAB files - one for the old OS and
> one for the new.

That hasn't to do anything with a CAB file or two. You have to modify
your program so that it can support landscape mode. You don't need two
(three) different programs. You need to have ONE program that is
designed for portrait AND landscape (and square (240x240)) mode because
you can switch the mode when your program is running or after customer
installed your program.

Claus
From: Robert Scott on
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 07:31:09 +0100, Claus Henning
<claus#minus#guntram#dot#henning#at#ortim#dot#de> wrote:

>Robert Scott schrieb/wrote:
>> On the other hand, if you really want to support landscape
>> orientation, then you will need two CAB files - one for the old OS and
>> one for the new.
>
>That hasn't to do anything with a CAB file or two. You have to modify
>your program so that it can support landscape mode. You don't need two
>(three) different programs. You need to have ONE program that is
>designed for portrait AND landscape (and square (240x240)) mode because
>you can switch the mode when your program is running or after customer
>installed your program.

But doesn't the program that switches orientation use APIs that are
not supported on the older OSs? That's why I thought that one
executable could not serve the new purposes and also run on Pocket PCs
made in 2001.

From: Vladimir Zinin on
Hi,

All programs that you build under EVC3.0 will be successfully run under
newest PPC versions (but this programs cannot support any features that
appeared in this PPC versions). By the way - for landscape orientation
support, you don't need any special API, only to handle WM_SIZE message.

If you want to build your programs under EVC4.0 and that this programs
also work under PPC2002/PPC2003/PPC2003SE, you must set linker key
/subsystem:windowsce,3.00 (for all exe/dll in project). This key always
exists in the linker options, but looks like
/subsystem:$(CESubsystem)
and it should be replaced.

--
Best regards,