From: e p chandler on
On Jun 11, 9:38 am, rfengineer55 <rfenginee...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> > Do you have some IT support at your academic institution that could help
> > you?
> > Some universities do provide their students/staff/faculty with web space.

> IT department here is quite specialied, and they do very little
> programming. The Comp Sci departmentis pretty good, but they have a
> very full plate given the state funding situation. I've writen an
> instructor a few times with things that Ijust don't know how to solve,
> and he's learned that if he gives me a few days, I figure it out for
> myself :-)  There is both a good and bad side to be highly motivated :-
>
> The IT department did suggest that I need to find a good newsgroup on
> the net, so here I am :-)

How about http://www.facdev.niu.edu/its/audience/facultystaff.shtml

This web page is more about IT support for academic activities, which
is what I had in mind.

HTH

--- Elliot

OT: You're complaining about lack of state funding to someone from
Michigan??? 5 of 12 elementary schools closed permanently yesterday
where I live. No it's not Detroit!

From: dpb on
rfengineer55 wrote:

> ... That's how you choose to see the situation, and I'm not at all
> interested in hearing about it. So airing your interpretation is going
> to do nothing but waste bandwidth.

OK, then, <plonk>...

If you think

a) Showing the generation of your posted error message in two lines of
executable code to demonstrate the "why" of the message explicitly, and

b) The suggestion to just slow down and "think first, program second"
are a waste of bandwidth, then

c) I agree that in this case they undoubtedly are and regret wasting my
time.

Just to be certain to not ruffle any feathers in the future, I've
notified my newsreader to be sure to skip any future threads so as to
minimize any chance to offend...

From: rfengineer55 on
On Jun 11, 1:01 am, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> rfengineer55 <rfenginee...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > No, the error is not happening with print statements. Here is the line
> > in te code where the Intel compiler zeros in on -
> >      WRITE ( UNFDAT,IREC ) FREQ, SIG(II),
> >     +D1( JJ ), UMVM(II,JJ), D2( JJ ), BMVM(II,JJ)
> > IREC is the variavle that the compiler says is not
> > assigned to a label.
>
> The IBM form of unformatted direct access I/O looks like:
>
>       WRITE ( UNFDAT'IREC ) FREQ, SIG(II),
>      +D1( JJ ), UMVM(II,JJ), D2( JJ ), BMVM(II,JJ)
>
> Someone might have missed that apostrophe and replaced
> it with a comma.
>
> The name IREC looks like a record number, not an ASSIGNed
> format label.  The more modern form is:
>
>       WRITE ( UNFDAT,REC=IREC ) FREQ, SIG(II),
>      +D1( JJ ), UMVM(II,JJ), D2( JJ ), BMVM(II,JJ)
>
> -- glen

Glen,

Uh-oh, I'm my own worst enemy. I did in fact, replace the apostrophe
with a comma.

So it looks like I caused my own error then? I will try your
alternative form. Steve at Intel suggested the same thing. I looked
in my VAX Fortran book and could not find that aopostrophe construct
and obviously wrongfully concluded that it (the apostrophe) should not
be there.

Is this error message that I got, variable not assigned to a label,
assigned to pop up with any other constructs? What does the error
message actually mean?

I'm going to stop the pre-emptive edits from now on :-) Instead, run
the code trough the compiler at least once as-is before doing any
editing. This experience is a good example where wanting to apply what
you learn is not always a good idea; especially when done too soon.

Glen and others responding to this thread, sincerest thanks.

Jeff RF ENGINEER55
From: rfengineer55 on
On Jun 11, 11:04 am, Alois Steindl <Alois.Stei...(a)tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> rfengineer55 <rfenginee...(a)aol.com> writes:
>
> > If you don't want to contribute meaningful programming suggetions as
> > many others have here, and do so without editorializing, don't
> > contribute to my thread at all then. This is nothing personal. This is
> > about solving a programming problem, so let's keep it that way.
>
> > Everything you've said about flailing, tantrums how I think it should
> > be, etc., is all your interpretation, and you are responsible for
> > that.  That's how you choose to see the situation, and I'm not at all
> > interested in hearing about it. So airing your interpretation is going
> > to do nothing but waste bandwidth.
>
> > Jeff
> > RF ENGINEER55
>
> Hello,
> besides learning to use your programming environment, the syntax of
> Fortran and the handling of your newsreader, you will also have to learn
> about usenet:
> Everybody may contribute to any thread he wants to, you have no right or
> possibility to restrict that.
> As you already may have noted, there are many helpful experts in this
> group, dpd being one of them. His posting contained no offense against
> you, but had remarks about a broader view of the underlying dilemma: How
> to use and modify old code, which is floating around. You might not yet
> understand what he was speaking about, but just calling his contribution
> waste of bandwidth is a strong offense.
> Is this your normal way of behaving: If you encounter any problem, shout
> at all those people you think are responsible for it?
>
> Alois- Hide quoted text -

Alois,

You of course are responsible for your interpretation. The poster did
not say anything that was offensive, you are quite right. His
mentioning that i'm ranting, flailing, etc., is simply useless
information. What is the useful purpose of such comments then? From
my perspective, it is a waste of time. So your words are not at all
helpful.

I see nothing in your post that would fall under the category of
"solution oriented."

There are very good, capable people who are willing, and have helped a
great deal.

RF ENGINEER55
From: rfengineer55 on
On Jun 11, 11:30 am, e p chandler <e...(a)juno.com> wrote:
> On Jun 11, 9:38 am, rfengineer55 <rfenginee...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
> > > Do you have some IT support at your academic institution that could help
> > > you?
> > > Some universities do provide their students/staff/faculty with web space.
> > IT department here is quite specialied, and they do very little
> > programming. The Comp Sci departmentis pretty good, but they have a
> > very full plate given the state funding situation. I've writen an
> > instructor a few times with things that Ijust don't know how to solve,
> > and he's learned that if he gives me a few days, I figure it out for
> > myself :-)  There is both a good and bad side to be highly motivated :-
>
> > The IT department did suggest that I need to find a good newsgroup on
> > the net, so here I am :-)
>
> How abouthttp://www.facdev.niu.edu/its/audience/facultystaff.shtml
>
> This web page is more about IT support for academic activities, which
> is what I had in mind.
>
> HTH
>
> --- Elliot
>
> OT: You're complaining about lack of state funding to someone from
> Michigan??? 5 of 12 elementary schools closed permanently yesterday
> where I live. No it's not Detroit!

Elliot,

Money is tight everywhere apparently.

I'm making pretty good progress with the FCC Fortran, so for now, I'll
stick with what I have.

Jeff