From: rfengineer55 on
My Intel compiler is giving me the following error message for a
project I'm working in:

Error 1 error #5503: Variable 'IREC' has not been assigned a label in
this program unit.

I did a Google search to find a possible explanation, and had no luck.
What in heck does this mean?

I can post the source cod listing here if you want it. This
errorpopped up when compiling another of my legacy VAX VMS Fortran
programs.

Jeff

RF ENGINEER55
From: e p chandler on
"rfengineer55" <rfengineer55(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> My Intel compiler is giving me the following error message for a
> project I'm working in:
>
> Error 1 error #5503: Variable 'IREC' has not been assigned a label in
> this program unit.
>
> I did a Google search to find a possible explanation, and had no luck.
> What in heck does this mean?
>
> I can post the source cod listing here if you want it. This
> errorpopped up when compiling another of my legacy VAX VMS Fortran
> programs.

It would be better to just post the minimum code fragment that produces this
error.

In a PRINT statement, the first argument is taken to be a Format specifier
or the statement label for a Format.

PRINT *,'abc'
PRINT '(a)','abc'
PRINT 100,'abc'
100 FORMAT(a)

Could this be related to the deleted feature

"Assigned FORMAT specifier" where you would

ASSIGN F TO 606

PRINT F,'abc'

where 606 is a FORMAT statement?

A google search shows this error message where the program code

is

PRINT A

Now I do make this mistake myself sometimes when I want to display the value
of A and I forget that I am not programming in BASIC where

PRINT A is perfectly legal.

but

PRINT *,A is Fortran.

From: e p chandler on

"rfengineer55" <rfengineer55(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> My Intel compiler is giving me the following error message for a
> project I'm working in:
>
> Error 1 error #5503: Variable 'IREC' has not been assigned a label in
> this program unit.
>
> I did a Google search to find a possible explanation, and had no luck.
> What in heck does this mean?
>
> I can post the source cod listing here if you want it. This
> errorpopped up when compiling another of my legacy VAX VMS Fortran
> programs.
>
> Jeff
>
> RF ENGINEER55

Considering the length of the code you posted I would suggest that you pack
all of your source code into an archive and post it on a web or FTP site.
Then provide a link to that archive. That would also eliminate the problem
with newsreaders or web browsers (google groups) inserting their own line
breaks into the source.

---- E

P.S. At the office I read this newsgroup on the web using Google Groups. At
home I use Windows Mail as a newsreader through eternal-september. Both of
these methods insert line breaks in the wrong places.

From: rfengineer55 on
On Jun 10, 11:47 pm, "e p chandler" <e...(a)juno.com> wrote:
> "rfengineer55" <rfenginee...(a)aol.com> wrote in message

> > My Intel compiler is giving me the following error message for a
> > project I'm working in:
>
> > Error 1 error #5503: Variable 'IREC' has not been assigned a label in
> > this program unit.
>
> > I did a Google search to find a possible explanation, and had no luck.
> > What in heck does this mean?
>
> > I can post the source cod listing here if you want it. This
> > errorpopped up when compiling another of my legacy VAX VMS Fortran
> > programs.
>
> It would be better to just post the minimum code fragment that produces this
> error.
>
> In a PRINT statement, the first argument is taken to be a Format specifier
> or the statement label for a Format.
>
> PRINT *,'abc'
> PRINT '(a)','abc'
> PRINT 100,'abc'
> 100 FORMAT(a)
>
> Could this be related to the deleted feature
>
> "Assigned FORMAT specifier" where you would
>
> ASSIGN F TO 606
>
> PRINT F,'abc'
>
> where 606 is a FORMAT statement?
>
> A google search shows this error message where the program code
>
> is
>
> PRINT A
>
> Now I do make this mistake myself sometimes when I want to display the value
> of A and I forget that I am not programming in BASIC where
>
> PRINT A is perfectly legal.
>
> but
>
> PRINT *,A is Fortran.

No, the error is not happening with print statements. Here is the line
in te code where the Intel compiler zeros in on -

WRITE ( UNFDAT,IREC ) FREQ, SIG(II),
+D1( JJ ), UMVM(II,JJ), D2( JJ ), BMVM(II,JJ)

IREC is the variavle that the compiler says is not assigned to a
label.

I would be happy to drop my source off at an FTP drop box. I asked
about that in the beginning, which is why I ended up posting the whole
source here. I have no I dea where to post it.Maybe one of the members
here has a personal FTP server we could use temporarily.
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
rfengineer55 <rfengineer55(a)aol.com> wrote:
(snip)

> No, the error is not happening with print statements. Here is the line
> in te code where the Intel compiler zeros in on -

> WRITE ( UNFDAT,IREC ) FREQ, SIG(II),
> +D1( JJ ), UMVM(II,JJ), D2( JJ ), BMVM(II,JJ)

> IREC is the variavle that the compiler says is not
> assigned to a label.

The IBM form of unformatted direct access I/O looks like:

WRITE ( UNFDAT'IREC ) FREQ, SIG(II),
+D1( JJ ), UMVM(II,JJ), D2( JJ ), BMVM(II,JJ)

Someone might have missed that apostrophe and replaced
it with a comma.

The name IREC looks like a record number, not an ASSIGNed
format label. The more modern form is:

WRITE ( UNFDAT,REC=IREC ) FREQ, SIG(II),
+D1( JJ ), UMVM(II,JJ), D2( JJ ), BMVM(II,JJ)

-- glen