From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
On 04/07/2010 01:29 PM, Robert Kopp wrote:
> I now have hardware-accelerated graphics (nvidia.ko) on 8.0 (i386) and
> would like to try the rotating cube. The instructions include making
> changes to xorg.conf, though I don't have one yet. Do I need to generate
> one? Or else how to proceed?

I think, if hal is enabled in your /etc/rc.conf you won't need an
xorg.conf file. OTOH, there's no harm in creating one. Probably, HAL/X
will still ignore some of the settings; not sure, Plz test yourself.

I needed an xorg.conf for tweaking the following section:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "5" # in minutes
Option "StandbyTime" "5" # vsync, nearly instant recovery
Option "SuspendTime" "5" # hsync, typically 3s recovery
Option "OffTime" "5" # poff, typically 10s recovery
EndSection

Xorg default is 10 minutes for all of the above, which IMHO, is too long
for modern LCD monitors. I think, the recovery times quoted above are
for old CRT monitors; unable to to recall from where did I get these.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192