From: Ben Crowell on
On a fresh install of PC-BSD, I have man, but no man pages. E.g.:
$ man man
No manual entry for man
How do I go about installing them?
From: Ben Crowell on
Ben Crowell wrote:
> On a fresh install of PC-BSD, I have man, but no man pages. E.g.:
> $ man man
> No manual entry for man
> How do I go about installing them?

Oops, never mind. The icon on the desktop that I was using to open a
terminal window wasn't a general-purpose one, it was putting me in
a jail. Lots of functionality broken. When I open a normal terminal
window, everything works.
From: mechanic on
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 08:29:45 -0700, Ben Crowell wrote:

> Oops, never mind. The icon on the desktop that I was using to open
> a terminal window wasn't a general-purpose one, it was putting me
> in a jail.

You're not the first to fall for that one - documentation on this
jail/ports stuff is non-existent which doesn't help either.

--
mechanic
From: SS on
On 2010-04-07 20:27:51 +0200, mechanic said:

> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 08:29:45 -0700, Ben Crowell wrote:
>
>> Oops, never mind. The icon on the desktop that I was using to open
>> a terminal window wasn't a general-purpose one, it was putting me
>> in a jail.
>
> You're not the first to fall for that one - documentation on this
> jail/ports stuff is non-existent which doesn't help either.

Yeah, one of the reasons why I haven't embraced PC-BSD yet (still on
Ubuntu 9.10). Actually, that and KDE.. I've run GNOME so long I find
KDE to be illogical...

SS

From: none on
SS wrote:
> On 2010-04-07 20:27:51 +0200, mechanic said:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 08:29:45 -0700, Ben Crowell wrote:
>>
>>> Oops, never mind. The icon on the desktop that I was using to open
>>> a terminal window wasn't a general-purpose one, it was putting me
>>> in a jail.
>>
>> You're not the first to fall for that one - documentation on this
>> jail/ports stuff is non-existent which doesn't help either.

Yeah, what's the purpose of the whole thing?

> Yeah, one of the reasons why I haven't embraced PC-BSD yet (still on
> Ubuntu 9.10). Actually, that and KDE.. I've run GNOME so long I find KDE
> to be illogical...

Actually one reason I'm testing the waters for a switch back from Ubuntu
to BSD is that in the most recent versions of Ubuntu, more and more
functionality is broken if you don't use Gnome. I prefer fluxbox as my
wm, and I'm experiencing constant hassles with things that only work
properly if you use Gnome. My favorite bug of this type is this one:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xsplash/+bug/504403
The problem traces back to a function called
temporary_hack_for_initial_fade(). To me it's emblematic of the poor
quality control in the recent releases of Ubuntu that they're releasing
code with functions named temporary_hack_for...().