From: SS on
On 2010-04-08 18:51:45 +0200, none said:

>> Yeah, one of the reasons why I haven't embraced PC-BSD yet (still on
>> Ubuntu 9.10). Actually, that and KDE.. I've run GNOME so long I find
>> KDE to be illogical...
>
> Actually one reason I'm testing the waters for a switch back from Ubuntu
> to BSD is that in the most recent versions of Ubuntu, more and more
> functionality is broken if you don't use Gnome. I prefer fluxbox as my
> wm, and I'm experiencing constant hassles with things that only work
> properly if you use Gnome. My favorite bug of this type is this one:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xsplash/+bug/504403
> The problem traces back to a function called
> temporary_hack_for_initial_fade(). To me it's emblematic of the poor
> quality control in the recent releases of Ubuntu that they're releasing
> code with functions named temporary_hack_for...().

Hehe, that's not good... Then again, Ubuntu is tailored for the crowd
that would be running Wintendo if it wasn't for Ubuntu. I love
ArchLinux for the same reason I like FreeBSD (and want to run it as
soon as I free up some hardware): Learning-curve is rather steep, but
you can customize stuff exactly the way you want it (and it WORKS)!

From: Indi on

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=freebsd+jails&aq=f&aqi=g8g-s1g1&aql=f&oq=&gs_rfai=

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi
From: none on
Indi wrote:
> On 2010-04-08, none <""> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, what's the purpose of the whole thing?
>>

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=freebsd+jails&aq=f&aqi=g8g-s1g1&aql=f&oq=&gs_rfai=

I guess I didn't make my question clear. I didn't intend to ask what
FreeBSD jail was. I was intending to ask why PC-BSD comes with a special
desktop icon labeled "ports jail" that gives you a terminal window where
you're in a jail. I don't understand why you would want such a thing on
a desktop machine. (PC-BSD is meant to be a FreeBSD distribution for
desktop users.) And I don't understand what it has to do with the ports
system.
From: Indi on
On 2010-04-08, none <""> wrote:
> Indi wrote:
>> On 2010-04-08, none <""> wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, what's the purpose of the whole thing?
>>>

>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=freebsd+jails&aq=f&aqi=g8g-s1g1&aql=f&oq=&gs_rfai=
>>
> I guess I didn't make my question clear. I didn't intend to ask what
> FreeBSD jail was. I was intending to ask why PC-BSD comes with a special
> desktop icon labeled "ports jail" that gives you a terminal window where
> you're in a jail. I don't understand why you would want such a thing on
> a desktop machine. (PC-BSD is meant to be a FreeBSD distribution for
> desktop users.) And I don't understand what it has to do with the ports
> system.

Oh sorry then, I have no idea about PC-BSD.
:)

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Warren Block on
none <""> wrote:
> Indi wrote:
>> On 2010-04-08, none <""> wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, what's the purpose of the whole thing?
>>>

>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=freebsd+jails&aq=f&aqi=g8g-s1g1&aql=f&oq=&gs_rfai=
>>
> I guess I didn't make my question clear. I didn't intend to ask what
> FreeBSD jail was. I was intending to ask why PC-BSD comes with a special
> desktop icon labeled "ports jail" that gives you a terminal window where
> you're in a jail. I don't understand why you would want such a thing on
> a desktop machine. (PC-BSD is meant to be a FreeBSD distribution for
> desktop users.) And I don't understand what it has to do with the ports
> system.

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-BSD_Users_Handbook#Using_the_Ports_Console.2FJail

"Starting in PC-BSD 8.0 a new utility has been added, which allows users
to compile and run ports in a separate jail environment."