From: John Selck on
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 02:47:21 +0200, Rick Youngman <wlbbs(a)commspeed.net>
wrote:

> so I will start this thread, to hear your tales of your best pranks.
>
> Here is one of my favorites for a C=
>
> either in a Basic program.... or by an input statement, have the user
> type poke 655,71

I took these ones are from Wikipedia:

PRINT 0+""+-0

Press RUN/STOP and RESTORE, then enter: POKE781,96:SYS58251
From: christianlott1 on
On Mar 29, 6:12 pm, "John Selck" <selck...(a)t-online.de> wrote:

> I took these ones are from Wikipedia:
>
> PRINT 0+""+-0
>
> Press RUN/STOP and RESTORE, then enter: POKE781,96:SYS58251

My computer crashes/freezes after the print. R/S won't work. From
VICE, the PRINT resets the machine.

From: Rick Youngman on
On Mar 28, 5:47 pm, "Rick Youngman" <w...(a)commspeed.net> wrote:

and this one

10 INPUT"WARNING !!! DO NOT PRESS RETURN !!!" ; A$

20 POKE 153,3

From: vic20owner on
One time I worked as a programmer and was placed in a department of
technical writers. Lets just say it was rather boring. So... one day
while learning to write client/server apps, I wrote a program which
would wait for connections and accept various commands. After
installing it on a co-worker's computer at lunch, I giggled like a
school girl until he came back to his desk.

As he fired up word and started working away, I popped up a dialog
window on his machine.... "Invalid mouse coordinates. Please Retry".

He was stumped... I gave him some time to digest the message and then
followed with:

"Poor sentence structure detected. Please correct before continuing".

This one was great... being a hyperperfectionist it kept him writing
and re-writing his manual for a good hour. I repeated this error a
few times to keep him on it.

Next came a modal dialog box with only an ok button:

"Would you like to restart windows now?"

At this point he was in a panic. It took him 30 minutes of dying over
and over before he finally clicked ok and accepted the consequences.

He was pretty happy when the system did not reboot... but was stressed
when I followed with "Hard drive is 99% fragmented. Please run the
disk defragmentation utility".

Fast forward... next day...he announces to the department that he has
finally finished defragmenting and that the errors have subsided. He
explained to me at length about how important it is to defragment
often because if you don't, you could see the errors he was seeing.
LOL. Well imagine his surprise when he sat back down at his desk to
see the dialog

"Hard drive is 99% fragmented. Please run the disk defragmentation
utility."

Well, the next day the System admin replaced the hard drive and
announced to everyone that the problem was resolved. As the admin and
the employee sat in front of the computer feeling satisfied as they
double checked everything, I popped up a message:

"Hard drive is 99% fragmented. Please run the disk defragmentation
utility."

followed by

"Battery Low"

At this point the grins turned to confusion and they tore the machine
apart to replace the cmos battery. Meanwhile I am practically
sweating trying to hold in the laughter.

By this point I decided it had gone so far that if anyone found out I
would get fired.

After the battery was replaced, I sent one last message:

"Battery OK. Windows will now start normally."

Despite the unusual message, they now seemed satisfied they had
tracked down this problem.

So I quietly removed the utility from his machine at lunch.

Let me tell you. That is the longest I'd ever been able to hold in a
laugh. I had a coworker in on it too and he was turning colors in the
cube next to me.

I could go on and on with stories like this. I have played so many
pranks I could write a book.

From: christianlott1 on
vic20owner, how could they replace the hard drive and you still have
the client program in his machine? Was it one of these autoboot-from-
network programs you squeezed into the network initialization?