From: Rick Youngman on
It seems there are a few pranksters amoung us. ( see the Shared Drive
thread)

so I will start this thread, to hear your tales of your best pranks.

Here is one of my favorites for a C=

either in a Basic program.... or by an input statement, have the user
type poke 655,71

if you want to just try this out ( no harm will be done )

just type poke 655,71 at the ready prompt, to see the
results.

Rick

From: Tristan Mumford on
Okay. Not CBM related, but I can think of a few straight off.

One of my favourites was connecting my keyboard to someone elses mac, while
theirs was still connected. Their keyboard would still work fine of course,
but I could throw a spanner in the works by typing too.

Another was replacing the windows shell entry of something like
shell="progman.exe" to shell="sol.exe". that always messed them up.

A later iteration of the previous was fun too. Installing basilisk on the
target PC and substituting explorer with basilisk as its shell. Or if you
are pressed for time just put a link in "startup".

Randomly disconnecting the ethernet on another persons computer to mess up
their network connectivity.

Messing up their keycaps, or changing the keyboard settings in the OS to
DVORAK or AZERTY.

I once wrote a program called "The Hackers Utility Program". It was a VB1.0
for Windows (I specify because there was indeed a VB1.0 for DOS) app. When
the unwitting individual ran it it would display a window with a button.
There was a bit of text saying something like "Click the button to activate
the utility"
On clicking the button and text would vanish and a large counter would
appear. Also a label stating that it was the number of seconds until
hard-drive deletion. Win3.1 being the uncooperatively multitasking system
it is, unless the programmer adds whatever it was (a single statement. I
forget what) to allow multitasking it would freeze up everything, meaning
the only escape was to reboot.
IIRC I think once it reached 0 yet another screen would be displayed stating
that hard-drive deletion had commenced. It also read and maybe wrote some
text to a file to make the hard-drive grind for added effect.

I'm sure there's plenty of others. I just can't remember anymore.

Tristan.
--
-----> http://members.dodo.com.au/~izabellion1/tristan/index.html <-----
===== It's not pretty, it's not great, but it is mine. =====
From: invalid on

Tristan Mumford wrote:

>Okay. Not CBM related, but I can think of a few straight off.
>
>One of my favourites was connecting my keyboard to someone elses mac, while
>theirs was still connected. Their keyboard would still work fine of course,
>but I could throw a spanner in the works by typing too.
>
>Another was replacing the windows shell entry of something like
>shell="progman.exe" to shell="sol.exe". that always messed them up.
>
>A later iteration of the previous was fun too. Installing basilisk on the
>target PC and substituting explorer with basilisk as its shell. Or if you
>are pressed for time just put a link in "startup".
>
>Randomly disconnecting the ethernet on another persons computer to mess up
>their network connectivity.
>
>Messing up their keycaps, or changing the keyboard settings in the OS to
>DVORAK or AZERTY.

On Windows;

Use the print scrn button to take a picture of the desktop.
Use the picture as the wallpaper.
Hide all the real icons.

Also on Windows:

Set the theme to High Contrast Whire (extra large).

From: Leif Bloomquist on
(Good timing for this thread, since we're coming up on April 1st!)

"Rick Youngman" <wlbbs(a)commspeed.net> wrote in message

> Here is one of my favorites for a C=
> poke 655,71

Nice and simple ;-)

Here's a much more complicated one that I found on a disk that I got on the
freebie table at some Expo.

http://www.jammingsignal.com/c64/voice.d64

It displays the normal C64 startup screen, but when you press a key, a
*digitized voice* shouts "Hey, leave me alone! Get the salesperson for
help!"

Obviously meant to be run covertly at a store selling C64s...with the
monitor volume cranked! ;-)

Regards,
Leif

From: KertDawg on
On Mar 28, 8:47 pm, "Rick Youngman" <w...(a)commspeed.net> wrote:

> so I will start this thread, to hear your tales of your best pranks.

Hello, all.

I'm not proud of this one, but it at least makes an interesting
story. I was young, and I guess I didn't think it through. This was
back in the days of DOS and ANSI.SYS*.

I created a text file with ANSI escape sequences that contained a
picture. I also embedded a code to map the backspace key to "DELTREE
C:\ /Y", which would erase the files on the hard drive. I gave this
file to another kid that I knew and told him to look at it. I wasn't
there, but he said that a few minutes later, his hard drive started to
make noise while he was typing. You can imagine the rest.

*(For those who don't know about ANSI.SYS, it was a DOS driver that
ran in the background and interpreted escape sequences for color,
character placement, and so forth. It had some advanced features,
such as macros and keyboard remapping.

This allowed the creation of text files that contained these escape
sequences. So, the text file could contain color, animation, and
simple macros. I'm sure you've all seen these files.)

- Kertis