From: Jeff Strickland on

"Edwin Sineath" <piedmont79(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I put in a live CD to boot from, computer doesn't boot from it, boots from
>hard drive. But once it boots up, the CD is recognized so apparently there
>is nothing wrong with the drive. But I don't know what is causing this.
>The BIOS is set to boot from CD first.

Either the boot priority does not list the CD ahead of the HDD, or the CD is
not bootable.

From: Edwin Sineath on
Neil Green wrote:
> Edwin Sineath wrote:
>> I put in a live CD to boot from, computer doesn't boot from it, boots
>> from hard drive. But once it boots up, the CD is recognized so
>> apparently there is nothing wrong with the drive. But I don't know
>> what is causing this. The BIOS is set to boot from CD first.
>
> Are you sure the CD is bootable?

Yes, it is bootable. Put the CD in another computer and it booted to
the CD, which is a live-install CD.
From: Edwin Sineath on
Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "Edwin Sineath" <piedmont79(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I put in a live CD to boot from, computer doesn't boot from it, boots from
>> hard drive. But once it boots up, the CD is recognized so apparently there
>> is nothing wrong with the drive. But I don't know what is causing this.
>> The BIOS is set to boot from CD first.
>

> Either the boot priority does not list the CD ahead of the HDD, or the CD is
> not bootable.

That's what I thought...but the CD is bootable (tried it in another
computer and it booted) and....(I don't believe I did this!) the boot
priority doesn't list the CD ahead of the HDD. I just fixed it so I
assume I'm good to go.
From: Edwin Sineath on
Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "Edwin Sineath" <piedmont79(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I put in a live CD to boot from, computer doesn't boot from it, boots from
>> hard drive. But once it boots up, the CD is recognized so apparently there
>> is nothing wrong with the drive. But I don't know what is causing this.
>> The BIOS is set to boot from CD first.
>

> Either the boot priority does not list the CD ahead of the HDD, or the CD is
> not bootable.

OK, fixed boot priority and verified that the CD is bootable by putting
it in another computer. Now when the computer tries to boot this CD, I
get a checksum error, and it doesn't boot. If there's something wrong
with the CD, why will it work on another computer? BTW, I tried another
live-install CD (one that I know works, have used it to install an OS)
on this same computer and it also wouldn't boot and gave the checksum error.
From: Baron on
Edwin Sineath Inscribed thus:

> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> "Edwin Sineath" <piedmont79(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> I put in a live CD to boot from, computer doesn't boot from it,
>>> boots from
>>> hard drive. But once it boots up, the CD is recognized so
>>> apparently there
>>> is nothing wrong with the drive. But I don't know what is causing
>>> this. The BIOS is set to boot from CD first.
>>

>> Either the boot priority does not list the CD ahead of the HDD, or
>> the CD is not bootable.
>>

> OK, fixed boot priority and verified that the CD is bootable by
> putting
> it in another computer. Now when the computer tries to boot this CD,
> get a checksum error, and it doesn't boot. If there's something wrong
> with the CD, why will it work on another computer? BTW, I tried
> another live-install CD (one that I know works, have used it to
> install an OS) on this same computer and it also wouldn't boot and
> gave the checksum error.

In that case the CD drive is suspect !

--
Best Regards: