From: Jeff Strickland on

"Edwin Sineath" <piedmont79(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> "Edwin Sineath" <piedmont79(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> I put in a live CD to boot from, computer doesn't boot from it, boots
>>> from hard drive. But once it boots up, the CD is recognized so
>>> apparently there is nothing wrong with the drive. But I don't know what
>>> is causing this. The BIOS is set to boot from CD first.
>>

>> Either the boot priority does not list the CD ahead of the HDD, or the CD
>> is not bootable.
>>

> OK, fixed boot priority and verified that the CD is bootable by putting it
> in another computer. Now when the computer tries to boot this CD, I get a
> checksum error, and it doesn't boot. If there's something wrong with the
> CD, why will it work on another computer? BTW, I tried another
> live-install CD (one that I know works, have used it to install an OS) on
> this same computer and it also wouldn't boot and gave the checksum error.

Then the CD drive is toast.

Boot the machine to the HDD, then put the CD in. If the drive works, the CD
should start by itself. If the drive is toast, then the CD won't run and the
checksum error should come up.

From: Edwin Sineath on
Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "Edwin Sineath" <piedmont79(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>> "Edwin Sineath" <piedmont79(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Either the boot priority does not list the CD ahead of the HDD, or the CD
>>> is not bootable.
>>>

>> OK, fixed boot priority and verified that the CD is bootable by putting it
>> in another computer. Now when the computer tries to boot this CD, I get a
>> checksum error, and it doesn't boot. If there's something wrong with the
>> CD, why will it work on another computer? BTW, I tried another
>> live-install CD (one that I know works, have used it to install an OS) on
>> this same computer and it also wouldn't boot and gave the checksum error.
>

> Then the CD drive is toast.
>
> Boot the machine to the HDD, then put the CD in. If the drive works, the CD
> should start by itself. If the drive is toast, then the CD won't run and the
> checksum error should come up.

OK. Did that. The CD shows up. Auto-mounts and I can see what's on
it. This is really strange behavior, isn't it?
From: baron on
Edwin Sineath Inscribed thus:

> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> "Edwin Sineath" <piedmont79(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> OK, fixed boot priority and verified that the CD is bootable by
>>> putting it
>>> in another computer. Now when the computer tries to boot this CD, I
>>> get a
>>> checksum error, and it doesn't boot. If there's something wrong
>>> with the
>>> CD, why will it work on another computer? BTW, I tried another
>>> live-install CD (one that I know works, have used it to install an
>>> OS) on this same computer and it also wouldn't boot and gave the
>>> checksum error.
>>

>> Then the CD drive is toast.
>>
>> Boot the machine to the HDD, then put the CD in. If the drive works,
>> the CD should start by itself. If the drive is toast, then the CD
>> won't run and the checksum error should come up.
>>

> OK. Did that. The CD shows up. Auto-mounts and I can see what's on
> it. This is really strange behavior, isn't it?

Mmm ! Delete the CD drive from the hardware list and let Windows
re-detect it.

Dirt, fluff etc can cause strange errors from a CD/DVD drive. Really it
depends upon whether you want to take it apart and clean it or spend
£30 on a new one.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Neil Green on
Edwin Sineath wrote:
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> "Edwin Sineath" <piedmont79(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> OK, fixed boot priority and verified that the CD is bootable by
>>> putting it in another computer. Now when the computer tries to
>>> boot this CD, I get a checksum error, and it doesn't boot. If
>>> there's something wrong with the CD, why will it work on another
>>> computer? BTW, I tried another live-install CD (one that I know
>>> works, have used it to install an OS) on this same computer and it
>>> also wouldn't boot and gave the checksum error.
>>

>> Then the CD drive is toast.
>>
>> Boot the machine to the HDD, then put the CD in. If the drive works,
>> the CD should start by itself. If the drive is toast, then the CD
>> won't run and the checksum error should come up.
>>

> OK. Did that. The CD shows up. Auto-mounts and I can see what's on
> it. This is really strange behavior, isn't it?

Not really, it could either be the drive or the actual CD but it's
definately one or the other, most likely the drive.
Just because you can browse the contents of the CD on that machine it
doesn't follow that it will boot from the same CD, the drive needs to read
the data on the drive accurately for that.
If you have a spare drive try it, if not optical drives are very cheap.

From: Paul on
Edwin Sineath wrote:
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> "Edwin Sineath" <piedmont79(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> OK, fixed boot priority and verified that the CD is bootable by
>>> putting it in another computer. Now when the computer tries to boot
>>> this CD, I get a checksum error, and it doesn't boot. If there's
>>> something wrong with the CD, why will it work on another computer?
>>> BTW, I tried another live-install CD (one that I know works, have
>>> used it to install an OS) on this same computer and it also wouldn't
>>> boot and gave the checksum error.
>>

>> Then the CD drive is toast.
>>
>> Boot the machine to the HDD, then put the CD in. If the drive works,
>> the CD should start by itself. If the drive is toast, then the CD
>> won't run and the checksum error should come up.
>>

> OK. Did that. The CD shows up. Auto-mounts and I can see what's on
> it. This is really strange behavior, isn't it?

Can you do a bad block scan on a CD drive ?

OK, I went through my software, and "Nero CD/DVD Speed 4.7.7.13"
has a "ScanDisc" option, to check for bad blocks. I dropped in
a DVD 9 disc into my drive, and as I'm typing, it is checking
for bad blocks.

There are some versions of that tool available for download.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/119/Nero_CD-DVD_Speed_4.7.5.0.html

Paul
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4