From: josephus flumo josephus on

From: Lem on
josephus flumo wrote:

> "Zero Clue" wrote:
>
>> When traveling, I'm having issues when trying to connect to other wireless
>> networks. At home, everything is fine. When I click on "view available
>> wireless networks" this is the message I get:
>>
>> "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled
>> another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software. If you
>> want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the wireless zero
>> configuration service. For more information about starting the wzc service,
>> see article 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com web
>> site. "
>>
>> I have been to this site and I am completely confused at what I need to do
>> in order to configure my computer to recognize wireless networks. Is this a
>> simple fix?

As Windows error messages go, that's one of the clearest and most
helpful. It means what it says -- you are using a non-Windows utility
to control your wireless adapter, most likely the one supplied by the
manufacturer of the laptop or the wireless adapter itself.

Because you appear to have attached your post to the end of an unrelated
thread, I'm not sure what "site" you went to or why you're confused.

The part of Jack's site that's relevant to you is
http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

More than likely, there will be an icon in the system notification area
(next to the clock) that will permit you to open and configure the
utility that is controlling your wifi adapter. Hover your mouse over
each icon (and/or right click on each icon) until you figure out which
is the correct one.

You can then either (a) use the currently-active utility to find and
connect to wireless networks or (b) disable it and permit Windows to
control/configure your wifi adapter.

If, after identifying the icon that accesses the currently-active
wireless utility, you still can't figure out how to use it, include the
make/model of *both* your laptop *and* its wifi adapter in your next post.

If you can't determine any icon that accesses a non-Windows utility that
controls your wifi adapter, do the following:

1. Click Start > Run
2. In the "Run" window, type the three letters cmd
3. Click OK
4. In the black "Command Prompt" window, type the following commands and
press the Enter key after each of them:
tasklist /svc > c:\test.txt
notepad c:\test.txt
5. Paste the contents of the result into your reply.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: