From: Diane on
Is there a way to use conditional formatting to search two lists of names,
and highlight the differences by only highlighing those with last name
differences. (My spreadsheet contains over 250 names)

Example:
Column A:
Jones, Dave
Smith, Bob
Brown, Sally
White, Mary

Column B:
Jones, Dave V.
Smith, Bob A.
White, Mary

I am looking for a conditional formula that would highlight Mary White in
column A as the only different one between the two lists.

Please help.

From: Teethless mama on
CF:

=COUNTIF($B$2:$B$4,LEFT($A2,FIND(",",$A2))&"*")=0

From: Diane on
Thanks so much. It worked with one little change to cover the entire list.
=COUNTIF($B:$B,LEFT($A2,FIND(",",$A2))&"*")=0

"Teethless mama" wrote:

> CF:
>
> =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$4,LEFT($A2,FIND(",",$A2))&"*")=0
>

> "Diane" wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to use conditional formatting to search two lists of names,
> > and highlight the differences by only highlighing those with last name
> > differences. (My spreadsheet contains over 250 names)
> >
> > Example:
> > Column A:
> > Jones, Dave
> > Smith, Bob
> > Brown, Sally
> > White, Mary
> >
> > Column B:
> > Jones, Dave V.
> > Smith, Bob A.
> > White, Mary
> >
> > I am looking for a conditional formula that would highlight Mary White in
> > column A as the only different one between the two lists.
> >
> > Please help.

Pages: 1
Prev: Custom views in Excel
Next: Turn off speak cells