From: James Morris on
Please make NO_BOOTMEM default to n, at least for amd64, where I've found
that it leads to all kinds of strange, undebuggable boot hangs and errors
(with relatively current Fedora development userland).

Also, the help text for the item makes little sense to a non-expert in
this area:

" ---help---
Use early_res directly instead of bootmem before slab is ready.
- allocator (buddy) [generic]
- early allocator (bootmem) [generic]
- very early allocator (reserve_early*()) [x86]
- very very early allocator (early brk model) [x86]
So reduce one layer between early allocator to final allocator."

I had no idea what all this meant, so trusted the default=y and then spent
several hours wondering why everything was breaking, and would likley not
have figured it out in linear time without a suggestion from Dave Airlie.

- James
--
James Morris
<jmorris(a)namei.org>
From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 03/30/2010 09:49 PM, James Morris wrote:
> Please make NO_BOOTMEM default to n, at least for amd64, where I've found
> that it leads to all kinds of strange, undebuggable boot hangs and errors
> (with relatively current Fedora development userland).

Have you tested it with the latest fixes that are now in Linus' tree (-rc3)?

-hpa

From: James Morris on
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> On 03/30/2010 09:49 PM, James Morris wrote:
> > Please make NO_BOOTMEM default to n, at least for amd64, where I've found
> > that it leads to all kinds of strange, undebuggable boot hangs and errors
> > (with relatively current Fedora development userland).
>
> Have you tested it with the latest fixes that are now in Linus' tree (-rc3)?

Yes, it was happening with -rc3.

--
James Morris
<jmorris(a)namei.org>
From: Stefan Richter on
James Morris wrote:
> Also, the help text for the item makes little sense to a non-expert in
> this area:

I too noticed this absolutely catastrophic "help" text but forgot to
send a bug report.

Either this option can be explained and the text fixed, or it cannot be
explained and shouldn't be an option in the first place.
--
Stefan Richter
From: Yinghai Lu on
On 03/30/2010 11:47 PM, James Morris wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
>> On 03/30/2010 09:49 PM, James Morris wrote:
>>> Please make NO_BOOTMEM default to n, at least for amd64, where I've found
>>> that it leads to all kinds of strange, undebuggable boot hangs and errors
>>> (with relatively current Fedora development userland).
>>
>> Have you tested it with the latest fixes that are now in Linus' tree (-rc3)?
>
> Yes, it was happening with -rc3.

please send out bootlog if possible.

BTW please try
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/yinghai/linux-2.6-yinghai.git

Thanks

Yinghai