From: aaron on
I would like to know how to use the ConfigurationManager for building
(compiling) various parts of a C#.net 2008 windows application. Can you tell
me the following:
1. How do you setup more options for 'building' configuration settings (like
'test-servera', 'test-serverb').
This would be in addition to the default options of 'debug' and 'release'?
2. If I setup a solution that has several projects in it, how could I setup
'selected project files' that I want to work with?
In other words, I would to 'pick' what modules I want to build in a
particular run of the application?

From: Peter Duniho on
aaron wrote:
> I would like to know how to use the ConfigurationManager for building
> (compiling) various parts of a C#.net 2008 windows application. Can you tell
> me the following:
> 1. How do you setup more options for 'building' configuration settings (like
> 'test-servera', 'test-serverb').
> This would be in addition to the default options of 'debug' and 'release'?
> 2. If I setup a solution that has several projects in it, how could I setup
> 'selected project files' that I want to work with?
> In other words, I would to 'pick' what modules I want to build in a
> particular run of the application?

What part of the Configuration Manager dialog are you specifically
having trouble with? I realize it's not 100% intuitive, but it's also
not really _that_ bad of a dialog. There are only a few things you can
do in it, and the things you can do seem reasonably obvious to me.

What in that dialog is specifically causing you difficulty?

Pete
From: aaron on
I basically have a C#.net 2008 solution that I need to make changes to. I am
trying to determine how this solution (.sln file) is setup. There is no
documentation.
When I compile this application is debug mode, it needs lots of files. If I
compile the .sln file in 'release' mode, the application compiles with a few
warnings.

Basically I am trying to determine how this .sln is setup beofre I make
any changes to it.

Why would buidling in release mode versus debug mode make a difference?
Does it make sense to add a reference to a .dll file in release mode but not
in debug mode?

From: Peter Duniho on
aaron wrote:
> I basically have a C#.net 2008 solution that I need to make changes to. I am
> trying to determine how this solution (.sln file) is setup. There is no
> documentation.
> When I compile this application is debug mode, it needs lots of files. If I
> compile the .sln file in 'release' mode, the application compiles with a few
> warnings.
>
> Basically I am trying to determine how this .sln is setup beofre I make
> any changes to it.
>
> Why would buidling in release mode versus debug mode make a difference?
> Does it make sense to add a reference to a .dll file in release mode but not
> in debug mode?

Managed code DLL references aren't per-configuration. So typically,
no…it does not make sense to even think about adding a reference to a
DLL in a Release configuration but not a Debug one.

For unmanaged code (e.g. C++ project), DLL references are managed via
the linker options and can be per-configuration. In that case, yes…it's
possible that the Release and Debug configurations could refer to
different DLLs.

Without knowing more about your specific Solution and the projects
contained within, it's not possible to make any specific statements
about it.

One thing you should note is that the specific build settings are
actually stored in the individual project files, not the Solution file.
The Solution is simply used to coordinate how the projects are built
together.

You do need to make sure that in the Solution properties the
dependencies between projects are configured correctly, so that VS can
make sure each project that's being built for a particular Solution
configuration is built in the correct order (this would usually be done
automatically based on the project references, but I've seen it get
screwed up so it's worth double-checking if you think some project is
being built before some other project that the first one depends on).
But otherwise, issues building specific projects are usually resolved by
fixing the project settings themselves, not the Solution configuration.

Pete