From: Tony Houghton on
How are you supposed to configure the deinterlacing method in xine? The
existing option is marked deprecated and doesn't seem to do anything; I
think it's using the most basic method which doesn't give good results.
It tells you to use postprocessing options instead, but there are no
postprocessing options for deinterlacing.

--
The address in the Reply-To is genuine and should not be edited.
See <http://www.realh.co.uk/contact.html> for more reliable contact addresses.
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Tony Houghton may or may not have written...

> How are you supposed to configure the deinterlacing method in xine? The
> existing option is marked deprecated

Not AFAICS.

> and doesn't seem to do anything; I think it's using the most basic method
> which doesn't give good results. It tells you to use postprocessing options
> instead, but there are no postprocessing options for deinterlacing.

.... oh, you mean the VO deinterlacer. There's --deinterlace, which should
be used with one of the tvtime and pp plugins, or gui.deinterlace_plugin.

Anyway, you want gxine, which has a much better UI for post-processing :-)

| + Output *more* particulate pollutants. BUFFER AGAINST GLOBAL WARMING.

Even if you persuade me, you won't persuade me.
From: Tony Houghton on
In <4EA5C6D151%news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>,
Darren Salt <news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:

> I demand that Tony Houghton may or may not have written...
>
>> How are you supposed to configure the deinterlacing method in xine? The
>> existing option is marked deprecated
>
> Not AFAICS.

xv_deinterlace_method in the video output section.

>> and doesn't seem to do anything; I think it's using the most basic method
>> which doesn't give good results. It tells you to use postprocessing options
>> instead, but there are no postprocessing options for deinterlacing.
>
> ... oh, you mean the VO deinterlacer. There's --deinterlace, which should
> be used with one of the tvtime and pp plugins, or gui.deinterlace_plugin.
>
> Anyway, you want gxine, which has a much better UI for post-processing :-)

Oh yes, but it's in the gui section instead of video for some reason.
Do I need to install anything else (in Debian) to enable these plugins?
AIUI Greedy(2Frame) is a good method. How would I configure that? Even
in the gui it needs a string which I can't find documentation for in
either xine's or tvtime's docs.

I guess I'll try using gxine from now on. I preferred xine because I
used to find gxine more prone to crashing, and I've only just discovered
the latter's option to separate the toolbar from the video window.
Trying to skip past 16:9 advertsĀ in a 4:3 programme is a bit difficult
when the slider changes size with the video (and keyboard seeking
doesn't work with raw VDR recordings) :-/.

From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Tony Houghton may or may not have written...

> In <4EA5C6D151%news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>,
> Darren Salt <news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:
>> I demand that Tony Houghton may or may not have written...
>>> How are you supposed to configure the deinterlacing method in xine? The
>>> existing option is marked deprecated
>> Not AFAICS.

> xv_deinterlace_method in the video output section.

Yes. That's the one which is "deprecated" (but I doubt will ever be removed).

>>> and doesn't seem to do anything; I think it's using the most basic method
>>> which doesn't give good results. It tells you to use postprocessing
>>> options instead, but there are no postprocessing options for
>>> deinterlacing.
>> ... oh, you mean the VO deinterlacer. There's --deinterlace, which should
>> be used with one of the tvtime and pp plugins, or gui.deinterlace_plugin.
>> Anyway, you want gxine, which has a much better UI for post-processing :-)

> Oh yes, but it's in the gui section instead of video for some reason. Do I
> need to install anything else (in Debian) to enable these plugins?

No; they're already available.

> AIUI Greedy(2Frame) is a good method. How would I configure that? Even in
> the gui it needs a string which I can't find documentation for in either
> xine's or tvtime's docs.

That's why I suggested gxine (but if you use the current release, there's a
silly bug which means that the prefs buttons in the plugin chain config
windows won't work for newly-added plugins until you reopen the window).

> I guess I'll try using gxine from now on. I preferred xine because I used
> to find gxine more prone to crashing,

Things improved a lot after 0.5.8, with the help of some lock-tracking code.

> and I've only just discovered the latter's option to separate the toolbar
> from the video window. Trying to skip past 16:9 adverts in a 4:3 programme
> is a bit difficult when the slider changes size with the video

That should probably be made the default, and perhaps the combined-mode
toolbar should be disposed of. That's something for 0.6.0, though.

> (and keyboard seeking doesn't work with raw VDR recordings) :-/.

I doubt that that's fixable without remuxing it...

| + Buy less and make it last longer. INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

We came. We assimilated. We left.
From: Tony Houghton on
In <4EA5D0FBF1%news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>,
Darren Salt <news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:

> I demand that Tony Houghton may or may not have written...
>
>> In <4EA5C6D151%news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>,
>> Darren Salt <news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:
>>> I demand that Tony Houghton may or may not have written...
>>> Not AFAICS.
>
>> xv_deinterlace_method in the video output section.
>
> Yes. That's the one which is "deprecated" (but I doubt will ever be removed).

Does "deprecated" mean it doesn't work any more? Turning deinterlacing
on and off with the i key does seem to make a difference, but not much
(eg not as good as the ffmpeg deinterlacer in mplayer), and changing the
method to greedy with the deprecated option doesn't seem to make any
improvement. Does enabling interlacing now enable the plugin instead?

>>> ... oh, you mean the VO deinterlacer. There's --deinterlace, which should
>>> be used with one of the tvtime and pp plugins, or gui.deinterlace_plugin.
>>> Anyway, you want gxine, which has a much better UI for post-processing :-)
>
>> Oh yes, but it's in the gui section instead of video for some reason. Do I
>> need to install anything else (in Debian) to enable these plugins?
>
> No; they're already available.
>
>> AIUI Greedy(2Frame) is a good method. How would I configure that? Even in
>> the gui it needs a string which I can't find documentation for in either
>> xine's or tvtime's docs.
>
> That's why I suggested gxine (but if you use the current release, there's a
> silly bug which means that the prefs buttons in the plugin chain config
> windows won't work for newly-added plugins until you reopen the window).

It doesn't really help that gxine has an option for it in its gui,
because I did find that option in .xine/config anyway. I call it an
option, but there really is no option. It's stuck on Linear because no
matter whether I have to edit a text file or type a string into a
dialog, the magic string needed to make it do anything else is anybody's
guess.

>> I guess I'll try using gxine from now on. I preferred xine because I used
>> to find gxine more prone to crashing,
>
> Things improved a lot after 0.5.8, with the help of some lock-tracking code.
>
>> and I've only just discovered the latter's option to separate the toolbar
>> from the video window. Trying to skip past 16:9 adverts in a 4:3 programme
>> is a bit difficult when the slider changes size with the video
>
> That should probably be made the default, and perhaps the combined-mode
> toolbar should be disposed of. That's something for 0.6.0, though.
>
>> (and keyboard seeking doesn't work with raw VDR recordings) :-/.
>
> I doubt that that's fixable without remuxing it...

I realise that's more a limitation of the format than the player, but
seeing as the slider is actually quite effective I wonder if it might be
possible to apply whatever method that uses (seeking on % of file size?)
to the keyboard controls as well when the format doesn't make it
possible to seek using more conventional methods.

--
The address in the Reply-To is genuine and should not be edited.
See <http://www.realh.co.uk/contact.html> for more reliable contact addresses.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Spamcop
Next: Any free plugin to view BBC video clips?