From: ge0ge on
Is there a plugin in Firefox (or any other linux's browser) that can
view the BBC news video clips?
As an example, if you go to
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6306903.stm
.... on the BBC News bar, there is (usually) a clickable - The News in 2
minutes - button.

I get an 'Additional plugins are required to display the media on this
page. install missing plugins' message. And it doesn't say which format
is required. It isn't flash which I have installed. Maybe some windows
specific format?

--
You have to run as fast as you can just to stay where you are.
If you want to get anywhere, you'll have to run much faster.
From: Tony Houghton on
In <523gvsF1mvi6bU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
ge0ge <ge0rge(a)privacy.com> wrote:

> Is there a plugin in Firefox (or any other linux's browser) that can
> view the BBC news video clips?
> As an example, if you go to
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6306903.stm
> ... on the BBC News bar, there is (usually) a clickable - The News in 2
> minutes - button.
>
> I get an 'Additional plugins are required to display the media on this
> page. install missing plugins' message. And it doesn't say which format
> is required. It isn't flash which I have installed. Maybe some windows
> specific format?

WFM with the MPlayer plugin (using Real format; I generally have more
success with that than with WMV).

--
The address in the Reply-To is genuine and should not be edited.
See <http://www.realh.co.uk/contact.html> for more reliable contact addresses.
From: Whiskers on
On 2007-01-28, ge0ge <ge0rge(a)privacy.com> wrote:
> Is there a plugin in Firefox (or any other linux's browser) that can
> view the BBC news video clips?
> As an example, if you go to
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6306903.stm
> ... on the BBC News bar, there is (usually) a clickable - The News in 2
> minutes - button.
>
> I get an 'Additional plugins are required to display the media on this
> page. install missing plugins' message. And it doesn't say which format
> is required. It isn't flash which I have installed. Maybe some windows
> specific format?

There's a 'Help' link.

..-----<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/6187964.stm#minimum>
| Is there a minimum specification to access the service?
|
| The minimum browser requirements needed to access this BBC service are:
|
| Netscape 5 and above, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and above, or Opera
| 7 and above. (Other browsers may work with the BBC News Player,
| however the BBC is unable to guarantee their compatibility)
|
| Javascript must be enabled
|
| If cookies are enabled your viewing settings will be remembered for
| future visits. If cookies are not enabled, Media Selector will prompt
| you to confirm your settings at each visit
|
| Popup blocking mechanisms should be set to allow popups to be launched
| from bbc.co.uk pages. You will also need to have one of the following
| media players installed on your system:
|
| RealOne version 9 or above, available free via BBC Webwise Real Player
| download guide
|
| Microsoft Windows Media Player version 9 or above, available free from
| http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/default.aspx.
|
| For information on system requirements for these players please check the
| websites listed above.
|
| Some advanced News Player functionality will not be available when using
| Windows Media Player with non-Microsoft web browsers. This does not affect
| Real Player, and basic viewing of clips is available on any browser/player
| combination listed above.
'-----

It works for me, using Real Player in Opera 9.10 on Mandriva 2007
Powerpack.

With a little fiddling and given the right codecs, mplayer can also be
used - with the advantage that the stream can be 'dumped' for later use, or
to overcome the interruptions caused by transmission problems and
'buffering'.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Toby Inkster on
ge0ge wrote:

> I get an 'Additional plugins are required to display the media on this
> page. install missing plugins' message. And it doesn't say which format
> is required.

BBC mostly uses RealAudio/RealVideo formats.

http://www.real.com/linux

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Tony Houghton may or may not have written...

> In <523gvsF1mvi6bU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> ge0ge <ge0rge(a)privacy.com> wrote:
>> Is there a plugin in Firefox (or any other linux's browser) that can view
>> the BBC news video clips?
[snip]
> WFM with the MPlayer plugin (using Real format; I generally have more
> success with that than with WMV).

xine-lib and xine-plugin (both from CVS) work with the WMV streams.

| Say NO to UK ID cards. http://www.no2id.net/

When in doubt, mumble. When in trouble, delegate. When in charge, ponder.