From: ge0ge on
Toby Inkster wrote:
> ge0ge wrote:
>
>> I get an 'Additional plugins are required to display the media on this
>> page. install missing plugins' message. And it doesn't say which format
>> is required.
>
> BBC mostly uses RealAudio/RealVideo formats.
>
> http://www.real.com/linux

First, thanks to all who responded.
I downloaded realplayer from the above site and copied nphelix.so and
nphelix.xpt to the directory /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.7/plugins.
But still it would not play despite the fact that about:plugins in
Firefox shows that the browser is aware of the plugin.

However, because in Whiskers' post, there was a mention of Opera, I went
and downloaded/installed Opera ... and same thing - copied the nphelix
files to the /usr/lib/opera/plugins directory ... and it works!

It would have been nice to get it working in Firefox ... which I feel it
should do. Maybe some teenie-weenie something else needs to be done but
I don't know what. However, at least for now, I don't have to switch
over to Windows.

--
<Knghtbrd> Trust us, we know what we're doing... We may have no idea
HOW we're doing it, but we know WHAT we're doing.
From: Tony Houghton on
In <4EAC64E7C9%news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>,
Darren Salt <news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:

> I demand that Tony Houghton may or may not have written...
>
>> In <523gvsF1mvi6bU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
>> ge0ge <ge0rge(a)privacy.com> wrote:
>>> Is there a plugin in Firefox (or any other linux's browser) that can view
>>> the BBC news video clips?
> [snip]
>> WFM with the MPlayer plugin (using Real format; I generally have more
>> success with that than with WMV).
>
> xine-lib and xine-plugin (both from CVS) work with the WMV streams.

I didn't try the BBC's WMV streams in this case, but there was some
other site I tried recently which offered a choice of Real, WMV or
QuickTime. Real was the only one that worked there. Does Xine use
Windows DLLs for the more "difficult" closed codecs like MPlayer does,
or only open source?

--
The address in the Reply-To is genuine and should not be edited.
See <http://www.realh.co.uk/contact.html> for more reliable contact addresses.
From: Tweedale on

http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/

--
email: echo t.adllkhsl(a)iypzavs.hj.br | tr a-gh-pq-z t-za-ij-s
From: ge0ge on
Tweedale wrote:
> On 28 Jan 2007 at 10:49, ge0ge wrote:
>> Is there a plugin in Firefox (or any other linux's browser) that can
>> view the BBC news video clips?
>
> http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/

I thought I'd give that a go.
Downloaded the mplayerplug-in-3.35.tar.gz (looks like they have ready
made rpm for fedora core only)
Found there some some dependencies for compilation of the package
.... so downloaded and install the
mozilla1.7.13/gecko-sdk-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.7.13.tar.gz

The configure part went OK but make gave this compilation error and
stopped :-(
Source/plugin-ui.cpp:73: error: �XpmCreatePixmapFromData� was not
declared in this scope
make: *** [plugin-ui.o] Error 1

If i have some spare time, maybe i will look further into it.
Thanks for the info anyway.

--
Telling the truth to people who misunderstand you is generally promoting
a falsehood, isn't it?
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Tony Houghton may or may not have written...

> In <4EAC64E7C9%news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>,
> Darren Salt <news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:
>> I demand that Tony Houghton may or may not have written...
>> [snip]
>>> WFM with the MPlayer plugin (using Real format; I generally have more
>>> success with that than with WMV).
>> xine-lib and xine-plugin (both from CVS) work with the WMV streams.

> I didn't try the BBC's WMV streams in this case, but there was some other
> site I tried recently which offered a choice of Real, WMV or QuickTime.
> Real was the only one that worked there. Does Xine use Windows DLLs for the
> more "difficult" closed codecs like MPlayer does, or only open source?

For these streams, open source - ffmpeg >= 51.20.0 (or thereabouts).

BTW, if you view any h.264 content, you should upgrade to 51.29.0; xine-lib
CVS includes this.

| + Travel less. Share transport more. PRODUCE LESS CARBON DIOXIDE.

He walks as if balancing the family tree on his nose.