From: Derrick Fawsitt on
When opening Windows Explorer I like to have the folder view on the left
when I open it, not files and folders which forces me to go to View,
Explored bar and Folders to change it. Then the next time I open
Explorer it has reverted to Files and Folders view on the left. How do I
get it to give me just Folders when I first open Explorer.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
From: robertva on
On 4/14/2010 7:31 AM, Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
> When opening Windows Explorer I like to have the folder view on the left
> when I open it, not files and folders which forces me to go to View,
> Explored bar and Folders to change it. Then the next time I open
> Explorer it has reverted to Files and Folders view on the left. How do I
> get it to give me just Folders when I first open Explorer.

If I'm understanding your inquiry correctly, right click on "My
computer" (or the folder of your choice) and click "Explore" on the
resulting context menu. There are also options on the "start" button's
context menu for manipulating items on the user's regular "start" menu.

In other words:

Double click on "My Computer" or a folder icon for the single pane
Windows Explorer view. You can also click "Open" on the context menu.

Click "Explore" for the two pane view with drives and folders in the
left pane and contents in the right pane.
From: Derrick Fawsitt on
In message <wxsxn.105296$EE6.65157(a)newsfe23.iad>, robertva
<robert_c72athotmail(a)invalid.net> writes

>Click "Explore" for the two pane view with drives and folders in the
>left pane and contents in the right pane.
Thank you so much for trying to help me and apologies for my amateur
attempt to explain my problem. Actually I only want to see "folders" in
my left pane and contents in the right pane. I get this when I click on
"Explorer", it opens up with just folders on my left whereas I have a
shortcut icon to a folder I created called "DATA" which contains all my
documents etc. but when I click on that it opens up with Files and
Folder Tasks, Other Places and Details on the left pane when all I want
to see each time are "Folders" there. How to I achieve that every time I
open up a file or folder. I had it before now but seem to have lost it.

All my thanks,
--
Derrick Fawsitt
From: russg on
On Apr 15, 9:40 am, Derrick Fawsitt <blackh...(a)abuse.plus.com> wrote:
> In message <wxsxn.105296$EE6.65...(a)newsfe23.iad>, robertva
> <robert_c72athotm...(a)invalid.net> writes
>
> >Click "Explore" for the two pane view with drives and folders in the
> >left pane and contents in the right pane.
>
> Thank you so much for trying to help me and apologies for my amateur
> attempt to explain my problem. Actually I only want to see "folders" in
> my left pane and contents in the right pane. I get this when I click on
> "Explorer", it opens up with just folders on my left whereas I have a
> shortcut icon to a folder I created called "DATA" which contains all my
> documents etc. but when I click on that it opens up with Files and
> Folder Tasks, Other Places and Details on the left pane when all I want
> to see each time are "Folders" there. How to I achieve that every time I
> open up a file or folder. I had it before now but seem to have lost it.
>
> All my thanks,
> --
> Derrick Fawsitt

I don't know where your are seeing "Explorer". I don't have that on
my desktop, just 'My Computer'.
Windows Explorer is the desktop, which displays whatever you put
there, plus a few other things.
If you open 'My Computer' you get something like you are describing.
From: robertva on
On 4/15/2010 9:40 AM, Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
> In message <wxsxn.105296$EE6.65157(a)newsfe23.iad>, robertva
> <robert_c72athotmail(a)invalid.net> writes
>
>> Click "Explore" for the two pane view with drives and folders in the
>> left pane and contents in the right pane.
> Thank you so much for trying to help me and apologies for my amateur
> attempt to explain my problem. Actually I only want to see "folders" in
> my left pane and contents in the right pane. I get this when I click on
> "Explorer", it opens up with just folders on my left whereas I have a
> shortcut icon to a folder I created called "DATA" which contains all my
> documents etc. but when I click on that it opens up with Files and
> Folder Tasks, Other Places and Details on the left pane when all I want
> to see each time are "Folders" there. How to I achieve that every time I
> open up a file or folder. I had it before now but seem to have lost it.
>
> All my thanks,

To create a shortcut that opens in Windows Explorer dual pane view:

In Windows Explorer right click on the folder you want to display.

Click "Properties" on the resulting context menu.

Edit the "Target" property on the "shortcut" tab to put the folder
path in quotation marks.

Continue to edit the target to add %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,
followed by a single space to the beginning of the property. for an
example %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, "%SystemRoot%\system32" opens your
system32 folder (where spider solitaire is located).

Click the "OK" button at the bottom of the properties dialog

Note that the %SystemRoot% portion accesses your OS folder no matter
what its name or drive letter. If your OS is installed in the default
location "%SystemRoot%" is the equivalent to "C:\WINDOWS\". The
"explorer.exe" is the executable file for Windows Explorer. The "/e,"
forces the two pane view.

For more information on Windows Explorer command line options see
Microsoft Knowledgebase article 152457 at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152457