From: John on
I'm running XP SP3 on a Tower PC. I just got a wireless NIC from Rosewill.
I understand about installing the hardware. Their instructions for
configuring the adapter indicate that I should reboot after installing the
card; I should then cancel the 'found new hardware wizard' and run either a
Windows Zero Configuration utility OR their own Ralink Wireless utility. Do
you have any insight into which I should use, and why I should not use the
default wizard from Windows?

Also, I am unfamiliar with Windows Zero Configuration.
--
John
From: Mark Opolo on

"John" <jREMOVEcmcf(a)rocketmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running XP SP3 on a Tower PC. I just got a wireless NIC from
> Rosewill.
> I understand about installing the hardware. Their instructions for
> configuring the adapter indicate that I should reboot after installing the
> card; I should then cancel the 'found new hardware wizard' and run either
> Windows Zero Configuration utility OR their own Ralink Wireless utility.
> Do
> you have any insight into which I should use, and why I should not use the
> default wizard from Windows?
>
> Also, I am unfamiliar with Windows Zero Configuration.
> --
> John

WZC is fine and simple to configure just use Windows setup Wizard.

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
In most cases using WZC provides smoother Wireless.
However the Vendor utilities some time have special chipset related
functions that some time can help users with specific needs.
Install both and give both a try. Just make sure that both do not work at
the same time.
When you try the Vendor's utility disable the WZC service.
http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
When you us WZC enable the service and make sure that the Vendor's is not in
the startup.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Don Phillipson on
"John" <jREMOVEcmcf(a)rocketmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm running XP SP3 on a Tower PC. I just got a wireless NIC from
Rosewill.
> I understand about installing the hardware. Their instructions for
> configuring the adapter indicate that I should reboot after installing the
> card; I should then cancel the 'found new hardware wizard' and run either
> Windows Zero Configuration utility OR their own Ralink Wireless utility.
Do
> you have any insight into which I should use, and why I should not use the
> default wizard from Windows?

This is normal, i.e. most router manufacturers' offer you
a choice between their house brand software and the
Windows wizard. You may need to disable the one in
order to use the other effectively.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs