From: Joe on
I hope that I am in the right place. The question I have is this: I am
running an HP laptop behind a Linksys Cable Router which is behind a Cisci
Cable Modem. When I did a "speed test" without the router connected I got a
reading of about 20.0 Mbps. When I added the router back in and ran the same
test I received a reading of about 6.0 Mbps. I had read that running through
a router would slow down your speed but I guess I didn't think that much. A
friend said that I should buy a "gateway" which is a cable modem and router
in one unit. Then I would not loss the speed. My router is a BEFAP41 4 port
wired router and the cable modem is a new Cisco DCP3000.
I would not have a problem buying a new "gateway" if what was said is true.
Any help of explanation would be greatly appreciated.
--
Thank you for your help,
Joe
From: Barb Bowman on
do you mean BEFSR41 or BEFVP41 or something like that? You have a Docsis 3.0
cable modem and an ancient router. You should purchase a new GigE router to go
with that nice new modem.

On Thu, 13 May 2010 12:26:01 -0700, Joe <Joe(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My router is a BEFAP41 4 port
>wired router and the cable modem is a new Cisco DCP3000.
Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
From: Joe on
Sorry Barb, fat fingers. I have a BEFSR41 router. The modem is from Comcast
and I pay $5.00 a month for it. If it is worth it, I would like to buy on and
deleat the monthly payment.
--
Thank you for your help,
Joe

From: Barb Bowman on
buy a new router. the modem is good. keep on leasing it. that router is jurassic
period in computer years.

From: Joe on
Thank you Barb,
Can you recamend a wired router or do I need to change over to a wireless
router.
If I should change to a wireless, then I might as well go for an all in one
unit.
--
Thank you for your help,
Joe

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> buy a new router. the modem is good. keep on leasing it. that router is jurassic
> period in computer years.
>
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:47:01 -0700, Joe <Joe(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Sorry Barb, fat fingers. I have a BEFSR41 router. The modem is from Comcast
> >and I pay $5.00 a month for it. If it is worth it, I would like to buy on and
> >deleat the monthly payment.
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com