From: John on
Hold that thought for a sec. Have you tried updating the firmware to the
latest version? It might help you with the speed problem. You can save some
money too.

Here's where you can find the firmware:
http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41/download

From: Barb Bowman on
you almost can't buy a consumer router that does not have wireless...

I'm going to make it easy and cheap for you. I don't know what speed tier you
bought into from Comcast, but.. go to
https://www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter and check out the $9.95 deal.

Just be sure to set up security on the wireless or turn the wireless off if you
are not using it.

If you want to buy a wireless router after reading this, please post another
reply ;-)

From: John on
Ooopss... someone mentioned it here:
http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wired-Routers/BEFSR41-Slowing-down-internet-connection/m-p/272901#M24484

that your router's WAN (or internet) port is a 10BaseT. If that is correct,
it's no doubt your speed test result is always under 10Mbps.

From: Barb Bowman on
exactly. and see my response about a possible replacement.

From: Joe on
Barb, I assume that if I go wireless I will have to also purchase a wireless
interface for my wife's computer since it is older and my HP 6P Laserjet is
also on the network. My Laptop is the only one in the group that could use
wireless. That all being said and reading John's input, I guess I am ready to
"upgrade" to the 21st century :) I did read the info about comcast but I
would prefer to use my "own" stuff.
--
Thank you for your help,
Joe

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> you almost can't buy a consumer router that does not have wireless...
>
> I'm going to make it easy and cheap for you. I don't know what speed tier you
> bought into from Comcast, but.. go to
> https://www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter and check out the $9.95 deal.
>
> Just be sure to set up security on the wireless or turn the wireless off if you
> are not using it.
>
> If you want to buy a wireless router after reading this, please post another
> reply ;-)
>

> On Fri, 14 May 2010 10:08:03 -0700, Joe <Joe(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Thank you Barb,
> >Can you recommend a wired router or do I need to change over to a wireless
> >router.
> >If I should change to a wireless, then I might as well go for an all in one
> >unit.
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com