From: Barb Bowman on
your wife can still be hardwired to the router. they are called wireless
routers, but they all have wired connections as well.

Two I recommend off the top of my head are DLink DIR-655 and Netgear WNR3500v2

Just be sure you get something that is on the W7 compat list at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=Networking&subcategory=Wireless%20Routers

get an N router, gigE.

On Fri, 14 May 2010 12:15:01 -0700, Joe <Joe(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Barb, I assume that if I go wireless I will have to also purchase a wireless
>interface for my wife's computer since it is older and my HP 6P Laserjet is
>also on the network. My Laptop is the only one in the group that could use
>wireless. That all being said and reading John's input, I guess I am ready to
>"upgrade" to the 21st century :) I did read the info about comcast but I
>would prefer to use my "own" stuff.
Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
From: Joe on
Thank you Barb, I think I will have to do some shopping this weekend at Fry's
or Bestbuy. :)
--
Thank you for your help,
Joe

From: Joe on
Barb & John,
Thank you both for your assistance. Barb, your telling me that I had an
ancient router woke me up. I went to Fry's and purchased a Netgear WNR3500L
RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit OpenSource Router. I just ran the speed test
again and they are averaging 20 Mbps. I be a happy camper now.
--
Thank you for your help,
Joe

From: Barb Bowman on
glad things are better. be sure to secure the wireless (or disable it if you are
not using it).

From: Joe on
I did disable the wireless portion for now. If I ever decide to go wireless,
then I should be all set. Thanks again.
--
Thank you for your help,
Joe

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> glad things are better. be sure to secure the wireless (or disable it if you are
> not using it).
>
> On Sun, 16 May 2010 14:43:01 -0700, Joe <Joe(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Barb & John,
> >Thank you both for your assistance. Barb, your telling me that I had an
> >ancient router woke me up. I went to Fry's and purchased a Netgear WNR3500L
> >RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit OpenSource Router. I just ran the speed test
> >again and they are averaging 20 Mbps. I be a happy camper now.
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com