From: Keve Nagy on
Mike,
Now that you mentioned it, I also remember experiencing this read-only
issue with cfdisk. I couldn't find the reason to it and never solved
this problem.
I tried fiddling with the file permissions of the device entries, both
manually and through devd/devfs. No luck.
For some reason, the first disk appeared to be read-only (even for root)
most of the time.
I believe the way I could write the disk was to hook it up to an
external USB enclosure and connect it to the system while I booted from
another disk (if you have the luxury of multiple harddisk with working
FreeBSd on). That way I think cfdisk could write /dev/da0.

Good luck!

Keve

--
if you need to reply directly:
keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu
From: Mike Clarke on
Keve Nagy wrote (re. cfdisk-linux being read only):

> For some reason, the first disk appeared to be read-only (even for root)
> most of the time.
> I believe the way I could write the disk was to hook it up to an
> external USB enclosure and connect it to the system while I booted from
> another disk (if you have the luxury of multiple harddisk with working
> FreeBSd on). That way I think cfdisk could write /dev/da0.

I could temporarily put the disk into another FreeBSD box.

I've just tried a knoppix CD, iy#s version of fdisk (Debian) seems quite
happy to write (but I didn't go as far as actually using the "w" command).
It also let me view and (probably) edit the BSD label so that looks like a
simpler alternative if the need arises.

--
Mike Clarke
From: Mike Clarke on
Keve Nagy wrote (re. cfdisk-linux being read only):

> For some reason, the first disk appeared to be read-only (even for root)
> most of the time.
> I believe the way I could write the disk was to hook it up to an
> external USB enclosure and connect it to the system while I booted from
> another disk (if you have the luxury of multiple harddisk with working
> FreeBSd on). That way I think cfdisk could write /dev/da0.

I could temporarily put the disk into another FreeBSD box.

I've just tried a knoppix CD, it's version of fdisk (Debian) seems quite