From: nki00 on
Guys, the rule of thumb here is simple -- be ready to see less volume (on a
hard drive) when you plug it in......

That's the same issue as cable companies being able to do whatever they want
selling us bundled packages, or cell phone companies jacking up cell phone
bills every month practically without any oversight.

From: nki00 on
> If you open the Resource Monitor, and go to the Memory tab, you have
> "Hardware reserved" there. Does it add up if you use that value?

Sorry for delay. I can run this on Win7 only. If I go to resource monitor,
it says:

Total 8151 MB
Installed 8192 MB

and then up above Hardware Reserved 41 MB

It beats me where it takes those numbers from....

From: Jackie on
nki00 wrote:
>> If you open the Resource Monitor, and go to the Memory tab, you have
>> "Hardware reserved" there. Does it add up if you use that value?
>

> Sorry for delay. I can run this on Win7 only. If I go to resource monitor,
> it says:
>
> Total 8151 MB
> Installed 8192 MB
>
> and then up above Hardware Reserved 41 MB
>
> It beats me where it takes those numbers from....

That looks very not right because it is under "Physical Memory", right?
My only guess would be it also includes virtual memory. I don't have it
enabled right now so I can't check it out at the moment. On my system,
however, it says:
Total: 4094 MB
Installed: 4096 MB
Hardware Reserved: 2 MB
That number (4094 MB) is somehow the same as the number I see when
getting the total amount of visible memory with WMI. I don't know if it
has anything to do with it.
It's getting rather strange to me now. Haha.

--
Regards,
Jackie
From: nki00 on
> That looks very not right because it is under "Physical Memory", right?
> My only guess would be it also includes virtual memory. I don't have it
> enabled right now so I can't check it out at the moment. On my system,
> however, it says:
> Total: 4094 MB
> Installed: 4096 MB
> Hardware Reserved: 2 MB
> That number (4094 MB) is somehow the same as the number I see when getting
> the total amount of visible memory with WMI. I don't know if it has
> anything to do with it.
> It's getting rather strange to me now. Haha.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jackie

IDK, here's my current reading. And yes, this Physical Memory section:

Available: 6536 MB
Cached: 2498 MB
Total: 8151 MB
Installed: 8192 MB

GlobalMemoryStatusEx() returns 7.96GB

Why would it report 7GB as total is beyond me? My only guess is that the ATI
card has 1 GB of memory. Do they make it so that GPU uses system RAM as
well?

On the sidenote, I got a response from Microsoft about this issue. I posted
a comment on the MSDN page and they responded that I should use
GetPhysicallyInstalledSystemMemory(). I tried it and it reports 8GB
installed (correctly), but I cannot try it on a XP system.

From: Jackie on
nki00 wrote:
>> That looks very not right because it is under "Physical Memory", right?
>> My only guess would be it also includes virtual memory. I don't have it
>> enabled right now so I can't check it out at the moment. On my system,
>> however, it says:
>> Total: 4094 MB
>> Installed: 4096 MB
>> Hardware Reserved: 2 MB
>> That number (4094 MB) is somehow the same as the number I see when getting
>> the total amount of visible memory with WMI. I don't know if it has
>> anything to do with it.
>> It's getting rather strange to me now. Haha.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jackie
>
> IDK, here's my current reading. And yes, this Physical Memory section:
>
> Available: 6536 MB
> Cached: 2498 MB
> Total: 8151 MB
> Installed: 8192 MB
>
> GlobalMemoryStatusEx() returns 7.96GB
>
> Why would it report 7GB as total is beyond me? My only guess is that the ATI
> card has 1 GB of memory. Do they make it so that GPU uses system RAM as
> well?
>

> On the sidenote, I got a response from Microsoft about this issue. I posted
> a comment on the MSDN page and they responded that I should use
> GetPhysicallyInstalledSystemMemory(). I tried it and it reports 8GB
> installed (correctly), but I cannot try it on a XP system.

Aah. I thought this was on the machine that had 4 GB memory installed.
That's why I thought it was strange.
But then.. If you try this...
Installed = 8192 MB
Total = 8151 MB

Does Hardware Reserved == (Installed - Total)? (8192 - 8151) = 41 MB

I think this would make even more sense after reading on
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc300158(VS.85).aspx

"The amount of memory available to the operating system can be less than
the amount of memory physically installed in the computer because the
BIOS and some drivers may reserve memory as I/O regions for
memory-mapped devices, making the memory unavailable to the operating
system and applications."

This seems to be what I came to think of before.

I think that I would just go with letting the user know exactly how much
is really installed, how much is available to the system (and not round
it up), and show how much is reserved.

--
Regards,
Jackie