From: Don W on
I have two wireless networks that I am trying to connect together. Here are
the basics.

I am a Networking Novice.

Each network is located in a seperate structure. The routers are
connected together (via a wireless point-to-point bridge) LAN port to LAN
port. The wireless bridge advertises a max distance of 3 miles with direct
line of site. The distance between my antennas is approximatly 150 ft.
Everything is using 802.11g.

The Source router is connected to the internet and is using DHCP. The
router is set as a Gateway with an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and mask
255.255.255.0

The Destination router has DHCP turned off. The IP address is 192.168.1.2
mask 255.255.255.0 and is set as a Router (not as a Gateway) which are my
only choices.

Each network (and bridge) is set to a different wireless channel and are
not in conflict.

I am using the same network name on both networks in hopes that while
roaming between them, the connection will not drop (or will possibly
re-connect automatically when comming into range).

I have brought the two routers and bridge units very close together and
nothing worked until I set a static route in the Source router. Then the
PTP antenna turned on with a strong antenna alignment signal. Everything
seemed to be working properly. But with all the wireless signals bouncing
around, I am not really sure what was connecting where.

When I move everything apart, I no longer have the connection with the
Destination router or see any antenna alignment signal, much less internet
access for the Destination network.

I am presuming that I need to setup a correct static route in each router,
especially in the Destination router. This is where it seems that I am
having the trouble.

Can I provide more information? Can anyone help?

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
It is Not clear from your description the number of devices that are used.
You should configure in each Location a regular Wireless Network to provide
the local service, and then add in each location a second Wireless device
working as a Bridge. The two Bridges should be use just to connect the two
segments.
Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Don W on
Hi Jack,
Thanks for your quick response to help.

There are three desktop computers all connected wireless at the Source.
There is one desktop and one laptop at the Destination, both connected
wireless.
I do not use a wired connection as I prefer a high and centralized location
for the routers. That way I always get a full strong wireless connection
throughout the coverage area.

The networks at both locations have always worked fine. I began this
project mainly to get an internet connection at the Destination location,
but I figured that a full merge into one large network would surely be a
bonus.

Upon connecting the bridge at the Source, I DID need to set a static route
before it worked. It now shows a strong alignment signal. But I only
guessed at the static route after doing some reading. Now the other half of
the bridge at the Destination is the same, it is not indicating an antenna
alignment signal. I am able to bring up the bridge configuration screen
without a problem but with no signal, it looks like there cannot be a
connection.

Don

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
I still do not get it.
You have two locations each one with its own Wireless Router and you want
the two Wireless Routers to do local Wireless as well as interconnect
between them?
It is impossible to do so with two independent Network.
If you want a cohesive Network (provided that the signal is strong enough to
support it) the second Router need to configured as WDS with No DHCP and No
local connection to the WAN port. I.e. the whole Network should depends on
the source Router.
To make sure that the signal is strong enough for any connection. Take a
Laptop and see if it can logon in the second location to the first one and
work well.
Or get more devices and do real Bridging, with two directional Antenna
looking one at the other.

From: Don W on
Jack,
You say quote: ...'Or get more devices and do real Bridging, with two
directional Antenna
looking one at the other'.
What you recommend is exactly what I have done. Each location is using its
own wireless router. The Source router has one LAN port connected to a
wireless bridge device with its own directional antenna. It is aimed at the
matching antenna of the Destination's wireless bridge device, which is then
plugged into a LAN port on the Destination router.

According to the bridge manufacturer: 'Using the bridge is totally
transparent. It is the same as if the two routers are connected directly
together using an ethernet cable'. And goes on to say: 'It can be used to
connect the networks located in two seperate buildings and can share one
internet connection'. Hey, that is exactly what I am trying to do.
I hope that it IS possible...