From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> I have seen several of these new USB turntables. They look
> rather poor quality.

That's been my thought as well. I wasn't going to say it because it
seems like people do get along well enough with them.

> The only difficult thing will be to move my old turntable +
> amplifier close enough to my desktop computer.

You can get up to a six foot cable if that would help. Mine is
approximately that long and seems to work fine.

Do be aware of "ground loops", as they will cause a hum in your audio.
Try to be sure that the turntable and computer grounds are as close as
possible if you have problems with this.

On Windows XP and earlier, the volume control mixer program is your
friend. Don't overlook the "recording" controls (found under Options >
Properties) or you can't be sure that the sound card will record from
the right source.

Windows Vista and later ship with a useless, overly complicated
"application driven" mixer application that would appear to make it
impossible to adjust the particular inputs and outputs of your sound
card. What you do about it I don't know. Perhaps the controls built
into most audio recording programs would be enough.

William
From: Steve W. on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> I have seen several of these new USB turntables. They look
>> rather poor quality.
>
> That's been my thought as well. I wasn't going to say it because it
> seems like people do get along well enough with them.
>
>> The only difficult thing will be to move my old turntable +
>> amplifier close enough to my desktop computer.
>
> You can get up to a six foot cable if that would help. Mine is
> approximately that long and seems to work fine.
>
> Do be aware of "ground loops", as they will cause a hum in your audio.
> Try to be sure that the turntable and computer grounds are as close as
> possible if you have problems with this.
>
> On Windows XP and earlier, the volume control mixer program is your
> friend. Don't overlook the "recording" controls (found under Options >
> Properties) or you can't be sure that the sound card will record from
> the right source.
>
> Windows Vista and later ship with a useless, overly complicated
> "application driven" mixer application that would appear to make it
> impossible to adjust the particular inputs and outputs of your sound
> card. What you do about it I don't know. Perhaps the controls built
> into most audio recording programs would be enough.
>
> William

I run a 15 foot cable for the line in. No problems. As for ground loop
problems the easy solution is a line isolator. You can get them at most
better electronics stores.

--
Steve W.
From: Tony Harding on
On 02/06/10 10:49, William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> I have seen several of these new USB turntables. They look
>> rather poor quality.
>
> That's been my thought as well. I wasn't going to say it because it
> seems like people do get along well enough with them.

Mine as well. I want to echo not going from turntable (unless designed
for computer recording) to the PC. Vinyl recordings need what's called
the RIAA compression correction when played (that's what a pre-amp or
receiver with Phono connectors does). I bought one approx 8 years ago
for the same purpose, which worked great (I was amazed by how quiet the
records and old turntable were). IIRC it was from Terratec and cost
about 100USD.

I know I had the piece a couple of months ago but can't find it now. If
I find it I'll post the model no., etc.

Good luck with your project.
From: Tony Harding on
On 02/06/10 14:33, Steve W. wrote:

<snip>

> I run a 15 foot cable for the line in. No problems. As for ground loop
> problems the easy solution is a line isolator. You can get them at most
> better electronics stores.

Very interesting - what do they look like, cost, etc.? (I haven't
Googled yet)
From: Bill Ghrist on
On 2/6/2010 11:25 PM, Tony Harding wrote:
> On 02/06/10 14:33, Steve W. wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I run a 15 foot cable for the line in. No problems. As for ground loop
>> problems the easy solution is a line isolator. You can get them at most
>> better electronics stores.
>
> Very interesting - what do they look like, cost, etc.? (I haven't
> Googled yet)

I use a Gemini PMX-250 for this. I'm not sure whether they are still
made, but I paid about $50 for it. It is actually a two channel mixer,
and each channel has both a line input and a phono input. The phono
input is useful if you cannot get a pre-amp line output from your
stereo, but the line input is also useful. I found that some audio
gear, e.g., a cassette tape deck, did not put out a high enough signal
for the line input on my computer's audio card. The mixer is a handy
way to set recording levels.