From: Boris on
"Paul-J" <getpaul(a)get2net.dk> wrote in

> I wish to try to digitalize a dozen of old LP records.
> Hopefully, I dont need to invest in special equipment.
>
> I will use my old hi-fi line to play the records
> How do you connect the loudspeaker line out (left and right
> connectors) to the back of a 4 year old Dimension tower? Device
> manager says it is a sigmatel audio card.

Hi,

About three years ago, I converted 330 LPs to wav files, and then broke
them up into separate tracks, and burned to cda files, one 'LP' per CD,
for my dad.

A friend loaned me his Technics 1200 MK3 turntable for most of the job,
which took me about a seven months.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/1590846074.html

Towards the end of the project, I used a very cheap Pioneer turntable,
and it also worked fine.

Here's the preamp I used, which includes editing software, total $69. It
worked very good:

http://www.dak.com/Reviews/2020Story.cfm

Once I had each track in wav format on my hard drive, I used Nero to burn
as cda.

Have fun.
From: Bill Ghrist on
On 2/7/2010 9:39 AM, Bill Ghrist wrote:
> On 2/6/2010 11:25 PM, Tony Harding wrote:
>> On 02/06/10 14:33, Steve W. wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I run a 15 foot cable for the line in. No problems. As for ground loop
>>> problems the easy solution is a line isolator. You can get them at most
>>> better electronics stores.
>>
>> Very interesting - what do they look like, cost, etc.? (I haven't
>> Googled yet)
>
> I use a Gemini PMX-250 for this. I'm not sure whether they are still
> made, but I paid about $50 for it. It is actually a two channel mixer,
> and each channel has both a line input and a phono input. The phono
> input is useful if you cannot get a pre-amp line output from your
> stereo, but the line input is also useful. I found that some audio gear,
> e.g., a cassette tape deck, did not put out a high enough signal for the
> line input on my computer's audio card. The mixer is a handy way to set
> recording levels.

I would also recommend using the CD Wave software for recording. It is
an older program and does not have the sophisticated processing
capabilities of Audacity. It basically records to wave files and lets
you split the files into tracks (it has some limited mp3 capability as
well, but you are better off using Audacity if you want to make mp3
files). It only does a couple of things (record and split), but it does
them much more conveniently than Audacity. It also has one other useful
feature if you plan to record anything off the air--you can set it up to
start recording at a future time (within the next 24 hours) and stop
automatically.

I use it with Windows XP, so I'm not sure whether it is compatible with
Vista/Windows 7.

http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php