From: Karl E. Peterson on
It happens that Mayayana formulated :
> There's a sample here:
>
> http://planetsourcecode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=7391&lngWId=1
>
> If you search you'll also find others.

Wow! Blatant rip-off! In the VBP:

VersionComments="Demonstrates how to show the shell's context menu for
directories and files"
VersionCompanyName="Common Controls Replacement Project (CCRP)"
VersionFileDescription="Shell context menu demo"
VersionLegalCopyright="Copyright � 1998 Brad Martinez, CCRP"

I always had a very low opinion of PSC, and this demonstrates why
pretty clearly.

--
..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

From: C. Kevin Provance on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
:
: Wow! Blatant rip-off! In the VBP:
:
: VersionComments="Demonstrates how to show the shell's context menu for
: directories and files"
: VersionCompanyName="Common Controls Replacement Project (CCRP)"
: VersionFileDescription="Shell context menu demo"
: VersionLegalCopyright="Copyright 1998 Brad Martinez, CCRP"
:
: I always had a very low opinion of PSC, and this demonstrates why
: pretty clearly.

Dammit, that pisses me off too. I submitted a comment for that entry,
assuming Ian approves it, that states she doesn't doesn't deserve the praise
or credit for her code, and that she should have stated up front in the file
description she ripped it off CCRP and Brad Martinez. That is so
disrespectful and just plain unethical.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
C. Kevin Provance wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>> Wow! Blatant rip-off! In the VBP:
>>
>> VersionComments="Demonstrates how to show the shell's context menu for
>> directories and files"
>> VersionCompanyName="Common Controls Replacement Project (CCRP)"
>> VersionFileDescription="Shell context menu demo"
>> VersionLegalCopyright="Copyright 1998 Brad Martinez, CCRP"
>>
>> I always had a very low opinion of PSC, and this demonstrates why
>> pretty clearly.
>
> Dammit, that pisses me off too. I submitted a comment for that entry,
> assuming Ian approves it, that states she doesn't doesn't deserve the praise
> or credit for her code, and that she should have stated up front in the file
> description she ripped it off CCRP and Brad Martinez. That is so
> disrespectful and just plain unethical.

I saw one of her comments where she basically claims she did say so. I
gotta disagree. Saying it's something she found on the web, and that
she left the author's name in the comments, well, that's just not right
for work of that calibre.

From: Mayayana on

| VersionLegalCopyright="Copyright � 1998 Brad Martinez, CCRP"
|
| I always had a very low opinion of PSC, and this demonstrates why
| pretty clearly.

That was a bit disrespectful, though the author
does write on the page:

"Found this on the WEB, and id like to share it with you. The original
author is in the comments. Modified some."

I once had someone put much of my website onto
their Wordpress page. I found out because the
download links were still to my copies. I wrote to
Wordpress and they promptly removed the site.
But it was just a young woman, college-age. My
impression was that it simply never occurred to her
that everything is not free for the taking.

I suppose PSC should police that a bit, but they're
nevertheless a great place to find very good code
that no one else has. And they don't require that
people sign up, as Code Project does. (I've wondered
if Google might have bought CP. Google returns a
lot of links from there these days, but few if any
from PSC. It's got to the point that I often just go to
PSC now to search if I don't find what I want immediately
from Google.

Here's the Brad Martinez link:

http://btmtz.mvps.org/shellmenu/

Oddly, when I searched for: vb6 shell context menu
I didn't get much. A lot of the links are for software.
When I add "Brad Martinez" his links come up at
the top. I'm afraid that Google is getting steadily
worse in their tendency to view the Web as less
an information highway and more a "paying consumers'
feed trough".

From: Karl E. Peterson on
It happens that Mayayana formulated :
>> VersionLegalCopyright="Copyright � 1998 Brad Martinez, CCRP"
>>
>> I always had a very low opinion of PSC, and this demonstrates why
>> pretty clearly.
>
> That was a bit disrespectful, though the author
> does write on the page:
>
> "Found this on the WEB, and id like to share it with you. The original
> author is in the comments. Modified some."

Yes, I saw that, and that helped a bit. But still. It was pretty
blatant. That said, I don't know the extent of her mods. If they were
heavy duty, she has a case. I really didn't look through the code to
see if they were all marked. Hopefully, they are! Then we're getting
closer to fair.

> I once had someone put much of my website onto
> their Wordpress page. I found out because the
> download links were still to my copies. I wrote to
> Wordpress and they promptly removed the site.

There's a site like that, out there, that was linking directly to my
downloads. The thieves wouldn't answer my emails, so I wrote some code
on my site to recognize when a download request was coming from
somewhere else. And when that happens, I redirect instead to the page
the describes the download. <eg> Example:

http://www.brothersoft.com/karl-e.-peterson-console-198303.html

> But it was just a young woman, college-age. My
> impression was that it simply never occurred to her
> that everything is not free for the taking.

Brothersoft.com is a pack of scumball thieves!

> I suppose PSC should police that a bit, but they're
> nevertheless a great place to find very good code
> that no one else has. And they don't require that
> people sign up, as Code Project does. (I've wondered
> if Google might have bought CP. Google returns a
> lot of links from there these days, but few if any
> from PSC. It's got to the point that I often just go to
> PSC now to search if I don't find what I want immediately
> from Google.
>
> Here's the Brad Martinez link:
>
> http://btmtz.mvps.org/shellmenu/
>
> Oddly, when I searched for: vb6 shell context menu
> I didn't get much. A lot of the links are for software.
> When I add "Brad Martinez" his links come up at
> the top. I'm afraid that Google is getting steadily
> worse in their tendency to view the Web as less
> an information highway and more a "paying consumers'
> feed trough".

I fear you're right. <sigh>