From: Ron P on
Hoping you might be able to help. Currently trying to use Quicken 2008
Deluxe with accounts at Navy Federal Credit Union. More than half the time,
when trying to download data, quicken reports a problem on their server and
they are notified to resolve it. I read somewhere here about deactivating
then reactivating online services and that doesn't seem to help. I called
NFCU directly and they said I can't get downloaded data because they do not
have the server to support it. I tried to explain that about half the time
it works just fine, but they don't see how I can do it. So... how does
quicken do it if they do not have the server? Also, how can I get better
reliability with online downloads? One other thing.... maybe 1 out of 5
times, in he middle of a download, quicken just quits and disappears. I'd
greatly appreciate any help! Thank you in advance.

From: John Pollard on
Ron P wrote:
> Hoping you might be able to help. Currently trying to use
> Quicken
> 2008 Deluxe with accounts at Navy Federal Credit Union. More
> than
> half the time, when trying to download data, quicken reports a
> problem on their server and they are notified to resolve it.
> I read
> somewhere here about deactivating then reactivating online
> services
> and that doesn't seem to help. I called NFCU directly and
> they said
> I can't get downloaded data because they do not have the
> server to
> support it. I tried to explain that about half the time it
> works
> just fine, but they don't see how I can do it. So... how does
> quicken do it if they do not have the server? Also, how can I
> get
> better reliability with online downloads? One other thing....
> maybe 1
> out of 5 times, in he middle of a download, quicken just quits
> and
> disappears. I'd greatly appreciate any help! Thank you in
> advance.

Stop trying to use "One Step Update" to download from NFCU (use
Web Connect to download) and you will have no trouble
downloading from NFCU.

When NFCU says they don't support One Step Update ... take them
at their word.

--

John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com

From: Ron P on

"John Pollard" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> Ron P wrote:
>> Hoping you might be able to help. Currently trying to use Quicken
>> 2008 Deluxe with accounts at Navy Federal Credit Union. More than
>> half the time, when trying to download data, quicken reports a
>> problem on their server and they are notified to resolve it. I read
>> somewhere here about deactivating then reactivating online services
>> and that doesn't seem to help. I called NFCU directly and they said
>> I can't get downloaded data because they do not have the server to
>> support it. I tried to explain that about half the time it works
>> just fine, but they don't see how I can do it. So... how does
>> quicken do it if they do not have the server? Also, how can I get
>> better reliability with online downloads? One other thing.... maybe 1
>> out of 5 times, in he middle of a download, quicken just quits and
>> disappears. I'd greatly appreciate any help! Thank you in advance.
>
> Stop trying to use "One Step Update" to download from NFCU (use Web
> Connect to download) and you will have no trouble downloading from NFCU.
>
> When NFCU says they don't support One Step Update ... take them at their
> word.
>
> --
>
> John Pollard
> First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com
> Please reply to newsgroup

Thanks, that is what I do for the most part. But I try every once in a
while and it works great, so I keep trying and then errors. However, yes,
web connect is best. Inquiring minds want to know though.... how does it
get the data on one step update?

From: John Pollard on
Ron P wrote:
> "John Pollard" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Ron P wrote:
>>> Hoping you might be able to help. Currently trying to use
>>> Quicken
>>> 2008 Deluxe with accounts at Navy Federal Credit Union.
>>> More than
>>> half the time, when trying to download data, quicken reports
>>> problem on their server and they are notified to resolve it.
>>> I read
>>> somewhere here about deactivating then reactivating online
>>> services
>>> and that doesn't seem to help. I called NFCU directly and
>>> they said
>>> I can't get downloaded data because they do not have the
>>> server to
>>> support it. I tried to explain that about half the time it
>>> works
>>> just fine, but they don't see how I can do it. So... how
>>> does
>>> quicken do it if they do not have the server? Also, how can
>>> I get
>>> better reliability with online downloads? One other
>>> thing.... maybe
>>> 1 out of 5 times, in he middle of a download, quicken just
>>> quits and
>>> disappears. I'd greatly appreciate any help! Thank you in
>>> advance.

>> Stop trying to use "One Step Update" to download from NFCU
>> (use Web
>> Connect to download) and you will have no trouble downloading
>> from
>> NFCU. When NFCU says they don't support One Step Update ...
>> take them at
>> their word.

> Thanks, that is what I do for the most part. But I try every
> once in
> a while and it works great, so I keep trying and then errors.
> However, yes, web connect is best.

> Inquiring minds want to know
> though.... how does it get the data on one step update?

Basically, I believe the technique is known as "screen
scraping". A computer program attempts to do the same thing you
do when you log on to the fi's web site, navigate to the
appropriate screen, and click the button to do a Web Connect
download. This operation has significant potential for failure,
and is guaranteed to fail when certain security provisions are
instituted at the fi's web site.

Direct Connect downloads, on the other hand, entail direct
communication between Quicken/Intuit and a financial
institution's server (not where you go for Web Connect
downloads). But they cost the fi's more to provide than Web
Connect downloads.

From: WendyC88 on

> Ron P wrote:
>> "John Pollard" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>
>>> Stop trying to use "One Step Update" to download from NFCU (use Web
>>> Connect to download) and you will have no trouble downloading from
>>> NFCU. When NFCU says they don't support One Step Update ... take them at
>>> their word.
>
>> Thanks, that is what I do for the most part. But I try every once in
>> a while and it works great, so I keep trying and then errors. However,
>> yes, web connect is best.
>
>> Inquiring minds want to know
>> though.... how does it get the data on one step update?
>
> Basically, I believe the technique is known as "screen scraping". A
> computer program attempts to do the same thing you do when you log on to
> the fi's web site, navigate to the appropriate screen, and click the
> button to do a Web Connect download. This operation has significant
> potential for failure, and is guaranteed to fail when certain security
> provisions are instituted at the fi's web site.
>
> Direct Connect downloads, on the other hand, entail direct communication
> between Quicken/Intuit and a financial institution's server (not where you
> go for Web Connect downloads). But they cost the fi's more to provide
> than Web Connect downloads.
>
> --
>
> John Pollard
> First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com
> Please reply to newsgroup

Oh..OK. I thought MS Money (Yodlee) was the only one doing that. Thanks