From: nawrass on
Hi,
I have to convert some Data Cobol files to a readable format(Excel,
txt, ...). The problem is that those files are not editable under
NotePad or a text editor ... (not a sequential file by line).
Plz could you help me, i am a biginner in COBOL :-((
10x

From: William M. Klein on

--
Bill Klein
wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

From: William M. Klein on
Tell us compiler and operating system.

The most common way to do this (on PC's, Unix, and Linux) is: to create an
output file that

A) Is defined as Line Sequential
B) Has only USAGE DISPLAY (the default, i.e. no COMP, Binary, etc)
C) Use SIGN IS SEPARATE
D) Use numeric-edited ("." rather than "V" for decimal point)

Then do a MOVE CORR (or equivalent) from your "non-readable" file to your output
file.

****

Alternatively, depending upon your compiler, many vendors provide "tools" for
editing their own files.

From: nawrass on
I will change the question, I have found some utilities for conversion
"Vancouver utilities" .. Can tell me how to use it ?
Thanxs you all and specially Thank you M. Bill klein

From: Richard on
> I have to convert some Data Cobol files to a readable
> format(Excel, txt, ...). The problem is that those files
> are not editable under NotePad or a text editor ... (not
> a sequential file by line). Plz could you help me, i am
> a biginner in COBOL :-((

You probably don't realise that you need to find out and specify what
hardware, operating system, compiler vendor, and format these files are
created by.

You would also need the file record layouts (FDs) in order to do
anything useful with them.