From: cc on
Hi everybody,

I have to recover cobol data files from a software...

These files are from acucorp and i used VUTIL32 -rebuild to reindex them so,
if i understood what i read, they do not contain deleted record anymore.

with VUTIL32 -extract, i obtain a file format very near to be comprehensive,
except for numeric fields, of course...

So i wondered if it could be possible to extract from PGM (or PGW) files,
which seems to be executables files, the format of my .DAT files.

Thanks for your help !
(and thanks to moralistics guys not to answer that "i'd better pay for the
soft" : i payed for it, but not have the source code and the software
company does not exists anymore.)

From: Frederico Fonseca on
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:29:13 +0200, "cc" <someone(a)some.where> wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>I have to recover cobol data files from a software...
>
>These files are from acucorp and i used VUTIL32 -rebuild to reindex them so,
>if i understood what i read, they do not contain deleted record anymore.
>
>with VUTIL32 -extract, i obtain a file format very near to be comprehensive,
>except for numeric fields, of course...
>
>So i wondered if it could be possible to extract from PGM (or PGW) files,
>which seems to be executables files, the format of my .DAT files.
>
>Thanks for your help !
>(and thanks to moralistics guys not to answer that "i'd better pay for the
>soft" : i payed for it, but not have the source code and the software
>company does not exists anymore.)

Assuming you still have the programs I would try the following.

1- See if the FDýs were supplied with the programs. Some companies do
it.
2- Run the program with option "-d". This allows you to run in debug
mode. If the programs were compiled with Source Debug then you will be
able to retrieve the full sources.

3- Contact the company that made the software and ask them for the
FDýs. Most will give this with no problem, and others can be "forced"
to do it.

Frederico Fonseca
ema il: frederico_fonseca at syssoft-int.com