From: anonimous on
Hi all,

Is there anyone who know something about *.dat, *.id and *.x file formats?
Is it possible that it is Cobol data?
Any tool which could convert it to ASCII files?

Thanks in advance!

Anabella

From: SanjayJain on
what gives you the idea that they are COBOL files

do you have any idea whatsoever of their supposed contents, source etc

you can write to me at skjain01.at.gmail.com

(I do not chk COBOL groups often except when looking for COBOL
outsourcing projects)

Sanjay Jain
India

From: HeyBub on
anonimous wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there anyone who know something about *.dat, *.id and *.x file
> formats? Is it possible that it is Cobol data?
> Any tool which could convert it to ASCII files?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Sure, it's possible. The following could also be COBOL files:

*.JPG
*.GIF
*.XLS
*.PDF
*.IIF

or any other extension.

There is NO standard (or known) format for the files you list.

What is it that leads you to contemplate that they MIGHT be files generated
by COBOL?

From: Michael Mattias on
"HeyBub" <heybubNOSPAM(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sure, it's possible. The following could also be COBOL files:
>
> *.JPG
> *.GIF
> *.XLS
> *.PDF
> *.IIF

If you want to get picky, there is no such thing as a COBOL file. Files is
files.

MCM

From: Richard on
> *.id and *.x file formats?

Did you mistype *.idx ?

> Is it possible that it is Cobol data?

It is always possible, and is more probable if they are actually *.dat
and *.idx.

> Any tool which could convert it to ASCII files?

You need to know the meaning, positions and formats of the data fields.
If you don't have a formal layout specification for the records, as you
would have if the source code was available, then you probably can't do
much.