From: john on
All my COBOL manuals and books wre written before screen handling
became standardized. I can find good examples of displaying pretty
thing on the screen but none showing how you ACCEPT data in a SCREEN
environment. In addition to the mechanics of same there are some
gotchas when the whole screen is accepted at once, or so I read on the
newsgroup.

Can someone point me to a fairly simple worked example of a data screen
DISPLAYed and then the data thereon ACCEPTed? I have a newer book on
order
but it isn't here yet.

I am using TinyCobol on a Slackware system.

John Culleton,
AKA Rip Van Winkle.

From: Richard on
> Can someone point me to a fairly simple worked example
> of a data screen DISPLAYed and then the data thereon
> ACCEPTed?

When doing Accept/display I generally accept each field in turn
allowing back field.

From: Kellie Fitton on
Hi,

Here is a sample code for Accept/Dispaly statement for microFocus
Cobol:

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
PROGRAM-ID. SAMPLE.

ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
CONFIGURATION SECTION.

SOURCE-COMPUTER. IBM-ATX.
OBJECT-COMPUTER. IBM-ATX.
SPECIAL-NAMES.

INPUT-OUTPUT SECTION.
FILE-CONTROL.

DATA DIVISION.
FILE SECTION.

WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.

01 300-ACTIVE-SPACES VALUE SPACES.
05 300-COMPANY-NAME PIC X(30).
05 300-LAST-NAME PIC X(25).
05 300-FIRST-NAME PIC X(15).
05 300-MAIL-ADDRESS PIC X(30).

SCREEN SECTION.

01 CLEAR-SCREEN.
05 BLANK SCREEN BACKGROUND-COLOR 5 FOREGROUND-COLOR 7.

01 INPUT-SCREEN AUTO.
05 BACKGROUND-COLOR 5 FOREGROUND-COLOR 7.
05 LINE 6 COLUMN 22 HIGHLIGHT 'COMPANY: '.
05 COMPANY-NAME REVERSE-VIDEO PIC X(30)
USING
300-COMPANY-NAME.
05 LINE 7 COLUMN 20 HIGHLIGHT 'LAST NAME: '.
05 LAST-NAME REVERSE-VIDEO PIC X(25)
USING 300-LAST-NAME.
05 LINE 8 COLUMN 19 HIGHLIGHT 'FIRST NAME: '.
05 FIRST-NAME REVERSE-VIDEO PIC X(15)
USING
300-FIRST-NAME.
05 LINE 9 COLUMN 22 HIGHLIGHT 'ADDRESS: '.
05 MAIL-ADDRESS REVERSE-VIDEO PIC X(30)
USING
300-MAIL-ADDRESS.

PROCEDURE DIVISION.
100-MAIN-MODULE.

DISPLAY CLEAR-SCREEN.
DISPLAY INPUT-SCREEN.
ACCEPT INPUT-SCREEN.
STOP RUN.

You could also code the Accept/Display statement like this:

display "Enter your last name: " at 1010.
accept lastName at 1033.
display "Enter your first name: " at 1110.
accept firstName at 1133.
display "Enter your address: " at 1210.
accept mailing-address at 1233.
stop run.

Hope these information helps,

Kellie.

From: john on
Excellent. I presume you ACCEPT the field as it is described in the
SCREEN but validate the corresponding field in WORKING-STORAGE. Did I
guess right?

John C.

From: john on
Excellent. I presume you ACCEPT the field as it is described in the
SCREEN but validate the corresponding field in WORKING-STORAGE. Did I
guess right?

John C.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2