From: Qaspec on
How do i convert "null" values to just show blanks? I'm using the following
which returns a "0" value:

Isnull (C.DaysInactive, '') as DaysInactive
From: John Bell on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 05:47:01 -0700, Qaspec
<Qaspec(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do i convert "null" values to just show blanks? I'm using the following
>which returns a "0" value:
>
>Isnull (C.DaysInactive, '') as DaysInactive

DaysInactive has an integer datatype and there is an implicit
convertion of '' to an integer which gives 0

e.g.

DECLARE @intvar int ;
DECLARE @strvar varchar(10);
DECLARE @datevar datetime;

SELECT ISNULL(@intvar,''), CAST('' AS int),
ISNULL(@strvar,''),
ISNULL(@datevar,''), CAST('' AS datetime)

If you convert the column to a character then there will be no
conversion

SELECT ISNULL(CAsT(@intvar as varchar(18)),'')

ISNULL will return the datatype of the first argument,

John