From: CMC on
Hi,

I have to change my database files to another storage.
I have a C7B64FBD-9450-4DA7-9F09-1BAA4D69FA35.cer file that i don't know
what it is. I think it is related to temp_MS_AgentSigningCertificate_database
that i don't know either its porpose. Can anyone Help?

I have all the files moved to the new location. Just need to know what to do
with the .cer.

Thanks in advance
CMLC
From: John Bell on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 05:53:01 -0700, CMC
<CMC(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have to change my database files to another storage.
>I have a C7B64FBD-9450-4DA7-9F09-1BAA4D69FA35.cer file that i don't know
>what it is. I think it is related to temp_MS_AgentSigningCertificate_database
>that i don't know either its porpose. Can anyone Help?
>
>I have all the files moved to the new location. Just need to know what to do
>with the .cer.
>
>Thanks in advance
>CMLC

Hi

A .cer file usually holds a certificate, have you looked in
sys.certificates? BACKUP CERTIFICATE will export a certificate to a
file.

John
From: CMC on

"John Bell" wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 2010 05:53:01 -0700, CMC
> <CMC(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have to change my database files to another storage.
> >I have a C7B64FBD-9450-4DA7-9F09-1BAA4D69FA35.cer file that i don't know
> >what it is. I think it is related to temp_MS_AgentSigningCertificate_database
> >that i don't know either its porpose. Can anyone Help?
> >
> >I have all the files moved to the new location. Just need to know what to do
> >with the .cer.
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >CMLC
>

> Hi
>
> A .cer file usually holds a certificate, have you looked in
> sys.certificates? BACKUP CERTIFICATE will export a certificate to a
> file.
>
> John
> .

Thanks.
Sys.certificates have one entry for the certificate. How do i move the
associated *.cer to another drive?

CMLC

##MS_SQLResourceSigningCertificate##
##MS_SQLReplicationSigningCertificate##
##MS_SQLAuthenticatorCertificate##
##MS_AgentSigningCertificate##
##MS_SchemaSigningCertificateB4948FB72D6F99455674FD9457408881BD720CEF##

From: John Bell on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 08:56:05 -0700, CMC
<CMC(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"John Bell" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 May 2010 05:53:01 -0700, CMC
>> <CMC(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I have to change my database files to another storage.
>> >I have a C7B64FBD-9450-4DA7-9F09-1BAA4D69FA35.cer file that i don't know
>> >what it is. I think it is related to temp_MS_AgentSigningCertificate_database
>> >that i don't know either its porpose. Can anyone Help?
>> >
>> >I have all the files moved to the new location. Just need to know what to do
>> >with the .cer.
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance
>> >CMLC
>>

>> Hi
>>
>> A .cer file usually holds a certificate, have you looked in
>> sys.certificates? BACKUP CERTIFICATE will export a certificate to a
>> file.
>>
>> John
>> .
>>

>Thanks.
>Sys.certificates have one entry for the certificate. How do i move the
>associated *.cer to another drive?
>
>CMLC
>
>##MS_SQLResourceSigningCertificate##
>##MS_SQLReplicationSigningCertificate##
>##MS_SQLAuthenticatorCertificate##
>##MS_AgentSigningCertificate##
>##MS_SchemaSigningCertificateB4948FB72D6F99455674FD9457408881BD720CEF##

If you need to move the certificate you should be able to copy the
file. If you need to import it then you can use CREATE CERTIFICATE.
This is only useful if you know the password used when the certificate
was exported.

John
From: Erland Sommarskog on
CMC (CMC(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> I have to change my database files to another storage. I have a
> C7B64FBD-9450-4DA7-9F09-1BAA4D69FA35.cer file that i don't know what it
> is. I think it is related to temp_MS_AgentSigningCertificate_database
> that i don't know either its porpose. Can anyone Help?
>
> I have all the files moved to the new location. Just need to know what
> to do with the .cer.

You can probably throw it away. There is no dependency from the database
to the file. Most probably it have been created with BACKUP CERTIFICATE,
possibly to copy it from one database to another. (There is no other
way to do this.)

Links for SQL Server Books Online: