From: Jeff Boyce on
If the output of your conversion needs to be of type "text", you can use the
CStr() function in your query to coerce the result into string/text.

--

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in
this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does
not constitute endorsement thereof.

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 10:12:01 -0800, Prohock <Prohock(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a query that has one field that combines two other fields.
>
>Date Length Combined
>12/2/2009 3 Day 12/2/2009 - 3 day
>
>I need the combined field to in plain text format.
>
>I tried the following hoping that it would work...no luck!
>
>Text(DateLength:[Date] &" - "& [Length])
>
>Please help

I'm perplexed that you're having a problem at all. I agree that Date and
Length are bad choices of fieldnames, but I believe you're creating a problem
where there isn't one.

The & concatenation operator will return a Text value *whatever* the datatype
of the component fields!

The expression

[Date] & "-" & [Length]

will return a Text value, consisting of the date value in the field named Date
expressed in your computer's Regional Settings date format, followed by a
hyphen, followed by the value of Length (assuming that Length is a Text field
containing "3 Day").

Is this not what you're getting?

What prompts the question? Are you getting an error using the Concatenate
function? If so what error?
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Prohock on
Hi John

I have change all my field names to follow proper Access naming conventions.

The problem is the value that it creates does not work with the
ConcatRelated function that Allen Browne has created.

Specifically

In my query "QryPrevious" , I have a combined field consisting of two fields
called "DateLength".

[Startdate] &" - "& [SuspLength]

Startdate is a date field from a table.

The results of QryPrevious are

12/2/2009 - 3 day
12/4/2009 - 2 day
12/8/2009 - 3 day

I would to combine them into a single field, called [Alldates]. Like the
following

12/2/2009 - 3 day, 12/4/2009 - 2 day, 12/8/2009 - 3 day

What can I do with the [Startdate] &" - "& [SuspLength] so it becomes TEXT
so that the ConcatRelated can resolve it as a single value?

If I use simple values like

the function works fine and will make

ABC.

I hope that this makes sense, and I am sorry to all for not explaining this
very well. Thanks for taking an interest in this problem.

Prohock

From: Prohock on
Hi Jeff

I tried but I still get errors when I run

SELECT ConcatRelated("[DateLength]","[QryPrevious]") AS PreSuspList;

I says Error 3061: Too Few Parameters. Expected 2

From: Jeff Boyce on
I don't see how what you did has anything to do with the CStr() function...

How and where are you "running" that SQL statement?

What does the ConcatRelated() function do? It appears to require two
parameters ... is that just coincidental?